13 Dec 2009, 17:25
Me_pragsmall

Robert Gravina (2 posts)

I’m not sure if this is the right place for it, but I’d just like to say that my experience so far with the book (I’m up to the Friday chapter) has been excellent. I have (perhaps I could say “had”) only a basic understanding of Ruby and didn’t really understand all of this metaprogramming “magic”. Things are a lot clearer now.

The conversational style makes it great weekend reading. I wanted to read a programming book over the weekend without it feeling too much like work, and more like play, and think you’ve succeeded nicely there.

I did find the content of the Wednesday and Thursday chapters a bit mind bending, but then again it is difficult material. I think I’ll have to give it a second read. But, I’d rather that than it not cover things thoroughly enough.

Perhaps things will be more clear once I take a look at ActiveRecord in the second part (funnily enough, one of my coworkers suggested that I take a look at ActiveRecord internals last week. Maybe I should start calling him “Bill”!).

19 Dec 2009, 21:32
Photo_17_pragsmall

Paolo Perrotta (42 posts)

Thank you very much, Robert. I’m so glad (and yeah, relieved) to get good vibes from readers about the style. It was a wild bet.

Don’t be surprised if you don’t understand everything in Wednesday and Thursday on your first read through. As the Gang of Four would say, I didn’t understand everything in those chapters on my first write through! The concepts are a tough nut at first, but once you grok them, everything clicks in place beautifully.

And of course, I encourage you to call your colleague “Bill”, but I won’t be held responsible if he doesn’t appreciate the comparison. ;)

26 Jan 2010, 21:46
Generic-user-small

Stefan Luptak (1 post)

I also have to say I like this book very much. Very interesting topic and perfect style of writing. I can’t explain it as I want, because my english is not so good, but I am reading few pages of this book every evening in bed and it’s relaxing and of course useful. Keep up in your work. Thank you.

27 Jan 2010, 07:22
Photo_17_pragsmall

Having people read it to relax at night is more than I ever hoped for. Thank you, Stefan! :)

15 Feb 2010, 13:13
Wes_barcelona_018_sm_pragsmall

Wesley Williams (1 post)

I agree nice book. I am not sure I could rest with the book though. :) I am about to start Friday: Code that Writes Code and I am keeping my notes on my blog as I read it and try examples. No code in the notes just linking items together to try and remember it all http://weswilliamz.blogspot.com/.

15 Feb 2010, 21:35
Photo_17_pragsmall

Wesley, I’d been following your blog for a while (thanks for the nice notes!). I think that Friday is going to be much less of a challenge than Thursday, and after that, Part II is hopefully going to be a pretty relaxed read.

24 Feb 2010, 00:33
Generic-user-small

Paul Hollyer (4 posts)

I’d just like to add that I thought the book was a great read. I have come from 10 years hobbying then freelancing then working with Flash/Flex and started learning about Ruby and Rails a few months back. I came across a book about Flex and Rails fitting together really well via Flash’s RemoteObject and RubyAMF, they were correct and I haven’t looked back.

Since then, I have spent a fair few pounds at the PragProg shop. Pickaxe 1.9, AWDwR, a few others unrelated to RoR, and now your book - which is definitely the icing on the cake.

Having worked with ActionScript for so long, and with it becoming more and more strictly typed - especially AS3 - Ruby was a bit of a change……..but also an absolute joy. I’ve already got ideas about extending the Scaffold code (no idea how at the moment) to build me different Controllers (only need to respond_to AMF & don’t need the HTML Views) along with creating a Flex Scaffolding to match up with the Rails Models and Controllers. I can see so many ways to speed up my workflow with Ruby, Rails and the knowledge I can glean from your book.

I knew that the Ruby code I was coding could be vastly improved, I just didn’t know how - I am on my way now.

I should finally say that I haven’t yet opened the paper book :) I also purchased the PDF eBook because I live in the UK, and wanted to get stuck in - I read the eBook in a weekend so had finished it before the paper book arrived from the US. I have since put a few of your spells into operation on my current project, but I now need to open the book and give it a slower, and more thoughtful read this time.

I have hit a bug in my refactoring, and I think I can solve it from your book if I get my head around a few more of the concepts and get a fuller understanding.

So, thanks Paolo, I’ll certainly keep an eye out for anything else you publish, looking forward to an updated second edition already……..

Regards

Paul

06 Jun 2010, 22:07
Iamwuassh_pragsmall

Juan Jose Vidal (1 post)

One of best book I read about Ruby. I’m impressed. Since I read the book, I love a little more Ruby. :P

I’m waiting for your next book… Thank you Paolo!

http://binoid.com

12 Jun 2010, 09:15
Photo_17_pragsmall

Thank you for the nice words, Juan Jose! If writing the next book takes as much as I took to write this one, it will be a long wait though. :P

25 Oct 2010, 20:45
Generic-user-small

Nate Kidwell (2 posts)

Awesome book, very lucid. If you ever make a part 2 about deeper concepts like DSL construction, I’d definitely buy it.

26 Oct 2010, 07:51
Photo_17_pragsmall

Thank you, Nate. I’m currently reading Fowler’s book about DSLs (excellent so far). You might even want to look at this: http://www.pragprog.com/titles/tpdsl/language-implementation-patterns. Neither book is Ruby-specific, so the topic of internal DSLs in Ruby might be worth a few blog posts at least.

21 Nov 2010, 23:23
Generic-user-small

Paul Golding (1 post)

I too love this book - thank you Paolo. The style is accessible and I am now really getting into the power of Ruby like never before. I am a fan of this book! (And now Ruby.)

22 Nov 2010, 07:39
Photo_17_pragsmall

Hey, thank you, Paul! Kudos from a fellow author really make my day.

You must be logged in to comment