01 Feb 2011, 16:12
Generic-user-small

Aldo Bergamini (1 post)

Hi all,

I am currently reading & enjoying the book. The plan is to use it to be quickly ‘back to development’, with source control ‘covered’.

I am trying to be smart on the server side, too. So I got the latest Turnkey Linux Revision Control appliance running. It offers SVN (1.6), supposedly ready to start (btw: a chapter on a ready to go VM SVN setup could be a nice addition to the book).

Now I seem to have problems moving the commands from the book to the server…

Creating a Local Repository on the server (via ssh) works; adding the three top level ‘folders’, seemingly works.. But no client sees them, on the repositories that show up at the given URLs. I tried both Cornerstone as well as Versions. They see the helloworld sample repo, down to code files. But they just see an empty repository for the ones I added.

BTW: I did the chown -R step, that I saw in chapter 34 “Creating a repository” on the server’s command line.

The commands below fail, but for the wrong reason. I should get a ‘this object exists’ denial, instead of ‘not authorized’…

rfc-1918:~ aaberga$ svn mkdir -m “Initial Setup” svn://aaberga@192.168.5.5/svn/iPBX_dev/iPBXSelector/trunk svn: Authorization failed

rfc-1918:~ aaberga$ svn mkdir -m “Initial Setup” svn://root@192.168.5.5/svn/iPBX_dev/iPBXSelector/trunk svn: Authorization failed

rfc-1918:~ aaberga$ svn mkdir -m “Initial Setup” svn://root@192.168.5.5/svn/iPBX_dev/iPBXSelector/trunk svn: Authorization failed

So I guess there is something not yet settled on the server side. Any guess?

Thanks in advance, Aldo

08 May 2011, 00:58
Generic-user-small

Ryan J Ollos (4 posts)

But they just see an empty repository for the ones I added.

I’ll assume you are creating the directories while working from the server. If so, then you are most likely not actually checking in the changes or not working from an actual working copy, perhaps confusing the repository with the working copy. You should be able to look at the revision log to confirm that your changes were checked into the repository, and then proceed from there to figure out what you are doing wrong with regard to creating the directories and getting them into Subversion.

If you are actually connecting to the repository with the clients at the given URLs, then you should also be able to checkout a working copy and create the directories from your client.

However, you talk about connecting to the repository using 3 protocol: svn, svn over ssh and svn over http(s). You definitely need to straighten out your understanding of the protocols by reviewing the information in the available books and decide which protocol you want to use. My advice is to start by working purely on the server, make sure you can do perform all the actions using the svn protocol and then try working remotely.

You must be logged in to comment