26 Feb 2013, 19:02
Img_2341_pragsmall

Christopher Patti (5 posts)

Hello all;

I’m working through this new edition of the book, and I’m noticing a pattern I’ve seen in previous attempts as well.

Around chapter 7, I start feeling lost with regard to the more complex HTML/CSS used in the book.

I know HTML reasonably well, and have an understanding of what CSS is and how the class/attributes/id system all works, but find myself unable to figure out how it all works together to create the end product.

I notice that as the chapters progress, the less I seem to be actually absorbing from the book.

Maybe I need to slow down and re-read some of the iterations? Maybe type the files in by hand or something? Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you get past it?

Thanks! -Chris

26 Feb 2013, 19:48
Samr_small_pragsmall

Sam Ruby (584 posts)

Can you identify a specific thing that is puzzling you? It may not unlock everything, but might give a start.

But overall, I’d say don’t sweat it. A reasonable knowledge of HTML is sufficient to use Rails productively, and the purpose of the book is to teach you Rails not HTML.

Or, to put it another way, if you grasp the Rails parts, you’ll do just fine when you start creating projects on your own.

28 Feb 2013, 21:16
Img_2341_pragsmall

Christopher Patti (5 posts)

One example is the application.html.erb in section 8.2 - Adding a page layout.

There’s just a LOT going on in this HTML file. I think you’re probably right and I need to stop obsessing over understanding what every line is doing, treat it as rote, and continue progressing through the sections.

28 Feb 2013, 23:06
Samr_small_pragsmall

Sam Ruby (584 posts)

There are three primary areas on the screen: a banner across the top, a main area on the bottom right and a side area on the left. Additionally there is some provision for a notice should it appear. Each of these has margins, padding, fonts and colors – typical things you see in CSS.

The banner is also centered and specifies that the image is to be place on the left.

Inside the side area, there is special styling for the list: turn off padding and bullets and specify a different font and color.

You must be logged in to comment