11 Apr 2010, 09:55
Generic-user-small

Ian Morrison (2 posts)

This screencast sounded promising so after checking the preview I paid $10 to watch it. 49 minutes later, and I feel like my time has been wasted. This screencast talks about a made up version control system at a very high level, and will not help you understand how or when to use various commands (as the description eludes to).

It starts out as a good idea, but would at best only be of use to a smart manager. If you want to learn how to actually use version control systems, the peepcode screencast is where you want to be.

Jim isn’t a good presenter; he sounds rather phlegmy for my tastes, and he talks down to the audience as if he’s some kind of high ranking badger. The quality of production was also very low, with very unattractive graphics. I don’t use a mac, so I don’t particularly care, but trust me: if you use a mac you won’t appreciate his awful taste in colours, shapes and fonts.

The ultimate failing of this video is that it was a waste of time to watch and a waste of money to buy.

12 Apr 2010, 18:33
Generic-user-small

Jason Perkins (1 post)

“This screencast talks about a made up version control system at a very high level, and will not help you understand how or when to use various commands (as the description eludes to).”

How the author of the above review read this screencast’s description (“In this 49-minute screencast you’ll learn Git in a different way: By not learning about Git itself. Instead, Jim Weirich takes you on a journey of how you might design and build a source control system from scratch. Along the way you’ll gain a deeper understanding of the first principles behind Git so things begin to make more sense.”) and come away with the impression that it is about the day to day use of Git is depressing.

If you’re looking for a deeper treatment of Git, its fundamental concepts and why it’s architected in the manner that is it then this video is for you. Working through the development of an ersatz version control system, Jim lucidly describes why git is designed the way that it is and affords the careful viewer the opportunity for a deeper comprehension so that they’re moving toward mastery of the subject. Tom Preston-Warner has written an essay using a similar approach in “The Git Parable,” and you may want to have a read through that before purchasing.

If you’re looking for a cheatsheet or quick intro to cover the top 10 git commands you’ll use on a daily basis this screencast is not for you.

However, if you’re the curious sort who wants to understand your tools then you’ll love this.

13 Apr 2010, 22:49
Generic-user-small

Ian Morrison (2 posts)

I didn’t think this was about the day to day use of git; I thought it was deeper than that and would explain how various features work and when to use them. I thought it would extend my git vocabulary, and break down some of its complexity. It didn’t do that so I’m disappointed. I’m sorry if that disappoints you.

from the description:

“when folks transition to Git, they often settle for using a handful of commands and treat Git just like their other source control system.”

and:

“for people who have just started using Git, but are still in the “magic incantation” stage of learning.”

Maybe I’m reading too much into those two lines, quoting them out of context as they were the key points that I picked up from the description. Or maybe the description is just much better written than the actual screencast - we’ll probably never know for sure.

In any event. it’s a shame that you find the consequences of my opinions depressing - you strike me as generally happy sort of chap, so please don’t let it get you down - and the implication that I don’t care how my tools work is also pretty low rent, but I understand that’s just a consequence of you not liking my opinions.

But thanks is due; “The Git Parable” you linked to is fantastic. It’s clear, quiet, engaging and beautifully presented. Pretty much the complete opposite of the poo-poor screencast which is the source of this irksome disappointment.

24 Mar 2011, 19:40
Generic-user-small

Kazi Manzur Rashid (1 post)

This is obviously total waste of time and money.

08 Aug 2011, 13:22
Trekkie profile pic_pragsmall

toby carter (6 posts)

Just to add another voice to the fray, having noted the mention of designing a source control system from scratch, I was enjoying the general feel of the screencast as it introduced concepts. However, after discussing a few basic points, much of which could probably be equally well applied to older systems like SVN, it just seemed to end with a “so Git does this and loads and loads more” comment. It was that abrupt end that left me a bit disappointed, and feeling like I hadn’t picked up on where the value of a DVCS lies compared to a traditional centralised system.

You must be logged in to comment