27 Nov 2012, 02:07

Mark Hochstein (4 posts)

Is it possible to SEND a mouse double-click from Android? I need to write an app that will take a screen double-tap or long-press in a browser window and send it as a mouse double-click. I can find all the calls for the double-tap and long press, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to SEND the double-click. My company has some old web apps that require the user to double-click on elements to open them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

27 Nov 2012, 09:17
Generic-user-small

Anthony Shaw (135 posts)

I’m not sure you will be able to do what you want, the main reason being that the application you want to send the double-click to is running in a browser window, so you would need another application running that hosted the browser, trap a click on a screen element, analyse what the element is, and then change it to a double-click and pass it on.

Have you actually tried connecting a mouse to the device and double clicking the items? I know it sounds weird to connect a mouse, but it does work at least on the devices that I have.

27 Nov 2012, 22:26

Mark Hochstein (4 posts)

Thanks for the response Andy. I’ve tried both a bluetooth mouse and an Apple Magic Trackpad both exhibited the same behavior as a double-tap. A co-worker of mine built a similar app on iOS that simply sends a double-click when the user double-taps and it works fine. No analysis required. However, in the Android SDK I can’t find any way to send a double-click at all. I though about using the long-press to pop up a menu where you could choose to send a double-click to keep from having to trap a double-tap. Less intuitive but easier. Still the double-slick problem must be solved first.

28 Nov 2012, 09:04
Generic-user-small

Anthony Shaw (135 posts)

I’ve had a look around and the closest seems to be the performClick() method that is implemented by buttons and some other components.

BTW: The name is Anthony not Andy

28 Nov 2012, 20:54

Mark Hochstein (4 posts)

Thanks for looking Anthony. Sorry about that - it was an autocorrect error.

You must be logged in to comment