06 Jan 2013, 22:20
Generic-user-small

Ken St. John (1 post)

Got this seemingly great book and proceeded to install the SDK, Exclipse, etc. etc. Nothing I see matches up with the tutorial for the Hello Android project #1. None of the example illustrations in the book even resemble what I see. Example:1. Select File > New > Project (OK so far) Select Android > Android Project (Not so OK) There is no Android Project to select. I see: Android Application Project Android Project from Existing Code Android Sample Project Android Test Project I’ve tried all of them but none result in the windows/screens seen in the book so that’s pretty much the end of the example. How about this one too: To run your Android program, go to the Package Explorer window……what “Package Explorer” window? There isn’t one on my screen to go to. Obviously I have some issues with setup or something but the bottom line is I can’t seem to get the screens shown in the book at all so I’m pretty much totally snowwed at this point. Anyone have some questions I can answer regarding my setup to help me get going?? Thanks in advance!

07 Jan 2013, 08:24
Generic-user-small

Anthony Shaw (135 posts)

Hi Ken

What version of Eclipse are you running? I have the Helios version on one of my systems and this is what I think the book is written against. I have the lastest version of Eclipse on another system and I agree that it is quite different. We should be able to get you going, but remember that a lot of the battle in programming is learning to use the IDE, the more you fight it the more it hurts you.

04 Feb 2013, 00:48
Generic-user-small

Ken A Collins (1 post)

Ken,

I too feel your pain. I had trouble with the first demo and I just spent hours trying to get the first Sudoku example in Chapter 3 to work because everything I see in Eclipse is different from the book, just as you experienced.

I downloaded Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers in January 2013 (I am a Java EE developer, so I felt downloading the plain Java IDE would be a waste). It is the Juno release, whatever that means. I am also trying this on a Mac for the first time, so things are different there as well (like in Chapter 3 the author says to go to Window > Preferences, but the Preferences are buried under the Eclipse menu on the far left).

To get you started with the first demo, you choose “Android Application Project”. You will be asked a lot more information in the wizard than the book tells you, but once you get the project created, you right-click on it in the Project Explorer (not Package Explorer – must be old terminology). I plugged my Evo 4G phone into the Mac using the USB cable and after I activated debugging on the phone, I was delighted to see the Hello Android project show up on my cell phone.

Hopefully, you will have similar success.

14 Apr 2013, 02:13
Burnette_ed_pragsmall

Ed Burnette (1316 posts)

Sorry about that. It was always a struggle to try and keep up with the all the changes to the dialogs in each release of the Android tools.

05 Jul 2013, 20:48
Generic-user-small

Remco van Rinsum (1 post)

Hi

I had similar difficulties with the changes in software.

Appearently the book appeals to a lot of people without experience with Eclipse and/or Java (myself included).

Maybe it’s an idea for future editions to include a downloadable virtual machine with pre-installed development package, so everyone has the same version.

Nevertheless I really enjoy the book thus far!

Cheers

06 Aug 2013, 23:58
Generic-user-small

Paul Karsh (3 posts)

FWIW when I went to download the Android Development Toolkit (ADT) I saw that there was an option to download and install a bundle consisting of Eclipse and ADT. As I had already downloaded and installed Eclipse separately per the directions in the book, I added the ADT separately. Were I to do it over or for someone starting fresh I would think that the bundle (which does not include Java) would be preferable. I ran into some small issues when adding the ADT plug-in which the bundle install might avoid.

This does not address the issue of the discrepancies between the book and the current versions of these components. In fact, it is another example of it. I understand that the fact that they keep changing it makes it difficult to keep up, but still, it does make things more difficult. If someone could come up with a way to update the “how-to’s” to current versions on an “agile” basis that would be good.

You must be logged in to comment