09 Jul 2012, 17:24
Generic-user-small

GREG HELTON (2 posts)

Aman, It’s great that you wrote about this topic. It is very interesting and sorely needed.

The Role of Roles portion of the article reminds me of a problem I once faced. What is a good model for managing how an employee maintains his own customer information such as when someone is hired who has been a customer and is given the role of CreditLineApprover? Does the use of roles make for a better solution than might otherwise be developed?

19 Jul 2012, 07:16
Generic-user-small

Aman King (1 post)

Hi Greg, thanks for the feedback. Glad that you find the chapter useful.

Regarding your question, it is a bit hard to provide concrete suggestions without getting into specifics, but I can ask a few questions that may suggest an approach.

To which scenario/interaction, is it relevant that someone who has been a customer is also an employee? What name would you give to the role of this “someone” (who could be a customer, an employee, or both) in this particular interaction?

Once a CreditLineApprover participant is involved in an interaction, how does it matter what other roles the participant plays in other contexts? If behavior does vary based on such facts, can those variations be hidden (abstracted away) in the implementation instead of exposing it to the broader context?

You must be logged in to comment