22 Nov 2012, 14:29
Generic-user-small

Ants (1 post)

I am only on chapter one and after spending some time finding the code and getting it set up, I see that the layout app is completed (at least it looks completed - for that chapter)

I want to code along with the book but obviously we need images etc. and to keep finding them and copying them over to my own app is a pain. Wouldn’t it have been a good idea to have given us the bare bones of the app (everything included) and allow us to code along to the book? Do and remember.

If I’m too premature in writing this, I apologise. But I’m curious upfront.

06 Dec 2012, 15:23
_mg_2366_pragsmall

John M Athayde (39 posts)

The book was intended as a smells/recipies book as opposed to a tutorial in the vein of Agile Web Development with Rails. We’ve seen that this decision was disappointing to many and we’ve been talking about how to fix it.

With regards to specific code, I thought that Bruce had gone through and fixed the code base with version 1.1 of the ebook. The book does NOT walk you through building the entire app; It’s not a repeat of AWDWR. The book is to really learn about the patterns that are ripe for refactoring and to apply those.

If you have specific issues or find broken things, please ler me know in this thread so we can fix them or try to provide workarounds until we (with PragProg) can figure out what we’re going to do in a larger sense

26 Jan 2013, 13:56
Generic-user-small

Michael Blyth (4 posts)

I can understand that position, but it’s confusing to me as a reader starting the book because it sounds like a step-by-step tutorial (do this, do that…). I’m sure as I go along I’ll get a better idea of the scope. (Maybe I missed something in the introduction?)

28 Jan 2013, 15:12
Generic-user-small

Jooin Kim (15 posts)

I kinda agree with Michael. It would be really appreciate if there is some details about perhaps the relations of models. That way people can actually work on the website. I’m on the chapter 1 and I have to figure out the models on my own already? I know that this book doesn’t walk me through the whole developing steps, I think readers need some clues for building models and controllers..

You must be logged in to comment