15 Dec 2011, 07:33
Generic-user-small

Francois Delorme (3 posts)

I am a newbie when it comes to ebooks. I want to order your ebook. Which reader do you recommend for the most enjoyable experience on the Air 13” (running Lion).

Thanks

Francois yxpers@gmail.com

15 Dec 2011, 08:22
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (39 posts)

Hi Francois

When you order the ebook (or paper/ebook combo) you’ll get a PDF that can be viewed on a computer, alongside files for all eBook readers.

As for eReaders, it’s very personal. I own a Kindle because its paper-like display means I can read it after I’ve spent all day glaring at computer screens. The Kindle ePaper display isn’t backlit, meaning it truly is like paper – you need to ensure the room has enough light to illuminate the page.

The Kindle Fire and B&N Nook are essentially tablet computers, so have backlit TFT screens just like any other computer. Some people are fine with this.

Kindle’s also pretty inexpensive, and easy to use.

15 Dec 2011, 14:03
Generic-user-small

Thanks Keir for your quick response. But aren’t these stand-alone devices? I was more talking about ereader software running on Lion. There seems to be plenty of free and $$$ apps on Apple Store. Or do I need anything more that the standard viewer that comes with Lion? This is where I would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks again!

Francois

15 Dec 2011, 16:30
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (39 posts)

Hi Francois

The only apps I use on OS X are the Kindle app, and Calibre.

I don’t think anybody who’s not bought an actual Kindle device can use the Kindle app (I might be wrong), so that leaves Calibre, which is free of charge.

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Give it a try!

16 Dec 2011, 14:14
Generic-user-small

Thanks Keir! I will test drive Calibre with your book! Thanks a lot for your suggestion. BTW, are you on Twitter?

16 Dec 2011, 20:01
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (39 posts)

I’m @keirthomas but I don’t tend to put much up there beyond announcements.

My website is http://keirthomas.com.

28 Dec 2011, 05:00
Generic-user-small

Marc Hollins (5 posts)

OSX has built-in support for reading PDFs, just double-click!

You must be logged in to comment