12 Oct 2012, 07:02
Generic-user-small

Curt Sampson (1 post)

According to www.antlr.org, the latest version of ANTLR is 3.4. Especially given that the book covering v3 is out of print now, it would make me feel a lot more comfortable if you explained at the beginning of the V4 Reference that you would tell us about differences between v3 and v4 as they came up, and then did so. I feel rather uncomfortable that I may have just bought a book that won’t work for me.

(And no, it’s not clear whether or not I’ll be able to upgrade to V4 any time soon even once it is released, for both political and technical reasons within the organization in which I work.)

16 Oct 2012, 23:06
Australia-3_pragsmall

Terence Parr (36 posts)

Hi Curt,

The good news is that, for the most part, the grammar metalanguage is the same. Just the actions within the grammar would be a problem. It would be a matter of removing syntactic predicates and that’s it. For example, that’s all I did in the Java grammar and it worked first time with v4. That said, you should also be aware that v4 does not ask you to create ASTs because it automatically generates parse trees. So, the applications written with the parsers would need to be changed completely to use the new tree mechanism.

Ter

25 Oct 2012, 17:00
Headshot2010_prag_pragsmall

Susannah Davidson Pfalzer (73 posts)

Hi Curt,

Just a note that we’ve now made available the original Definitive ANTLR Reference in ebook form, so anyone using ANTLR 3 will still be able to purchase the last edition’s ebook. You can find it at http://pragprog.com/book/tpantlr/the-definitive-antlr-reference.

Best, Susannah Davidson Pfalzer Managing editor Pragmatic Bookshelf

You must be logged in to comment