02 Sep 2012, 13:28
Generic-user-small

Luc De Ram (2 posts)

Hi,

I’ve read your book and it’s make me see a new (easier) way to see androïd programing.

I’ve question on the chapter 10 §DataCapture: You create a database table ‘data’, the thing that I don’t understand is when do you create the database itself ? If I want to use an already made SQLite database, how to connect it before select infos into tables ?

Best regards

Luc

10 Sep 2012, 19:08
Ds_2009_mpark_pragsmall

Daniel Sauter (47 posts)

Dear Luc, this is an excellent question.

As it stands with KetaiSQLite Ketai v7 it is not designed for using existing SQLite databases, and only possible if you use Android’s SQLiteOpenHelper class http://developer.android.com/reference/android/database/sqlite/SQLiteOpenHelper.html to load the file and dump it into the KetaiSQLite object.

Because it’s a great point and useful to pre-populate a database with existing data, we’ll implement it in Ketai v8, which will be available for download in the first week of October. I’ll update the Beta book accordingly. With v8, you’ll be able to put the SQLite database file into the sketch “data” folder and instantiate your KetaiSQLite object with that file name as parameter. It will then load your database. If that doesn’t exist, it will create one called ‘data’ as default.

Thanks for bringing this up. Daniel

18 Sep 2012, 08:21
Generic-user-small

Luc De Ram (2 posts)

Hi Daniel,

It’s sound great, I’ll wait the new version. In that version, do you plans the use of encrypted SQLite Database ?

Best regards

Luc

24 Sep 2012, 20:51
Ds_2009_mpark_pragsmall

Daniel Sauter (47 posts)

Hi Luc,

Android has no built-in encryption for SQLite but, but there are a few projects underway which you can find here… http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=191 We will not work on encryption before Android has it built-in, or officially supports another solution.

Best, Daniel

13 May 2013, 12:13
Generic-user-small

Anna Harris (3 posts)

You are right “Luc” that Rapid Android Development is a very helpful while learning Android programming. Still, i am waiting for newer version.

You must be logged in to comment