14 Sep 2012, 02:23
Generic-user-small

Greg MacLaughlin (6 posts)

Is it correct that the ‘println ‘ function in Processing for Android will return values to the Processing terminal on my computer while running the App on my phone, when connected by USB. I haven’t been able to get it to work and don’t know where to start troubleshooting it.

My question relates to the example code for Chapter 2 where the program returns mouse pressed postions and color values.

Thanks for your help, Greg

PS I should have started the post under Chapter 2 questions… might be a good idea to start a thread for each chapter, in order to keep the forum searchable.

15 Sep 2012, 00:11
Ds_2009_mpark_pragsmall

Daniel Sauter (47 posts)

Hi Greg, it is correct that println() prints text and numbers to the Processing Console, given you have your Android device connected to the desktop computer via USB cable. If you have Eclipse installed (as well), we have another IDE to double check, please let me know. Best, Daniel

16 Sep 2012, 04:07
Generic-user-small

Greg MacLaughlin (6 posts)

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for your response. I’m not running Eclipse or any other IDE… and as I’ve started to run into other problems I think I’ve figured out that it is to do with the Android version I’m forced to run 2.3.5 Gingerbread… my Moto Atrix isn’t getting an update till later this year so it looks I’ve gotta use Ketai_v5 until then. Do you have any advice for dealing with multiple Android and Ketai versions as I try to put together a project… seems like it is going to be a never ending nightmare. Have you had better experience getting updates from Samsung?

Thanks, Greg

11 Oct 2012, 07:01
Generic-user-small

Carl Higashionna (1 post)

Hi Daniel & Greg,

I was also having trouble getting the println() function to show any output in the Processing console. However, when I ran Eclipse at the same time I noticed that I can see the output from the println statements in the Eclipse IDE’s LogCat view. I set the tag filter to ‘tag:System.out’ and the log level menu to ‘info’ to see the output from the Sketch.

I suppose that you can also run ‘adb logcat’ from the terminal to achieve the same results.

Regards, Carl

20 Oct 2012, 17:49
Generic-user-small

David Leonard (2 posts)

I thought I was doomed from debugging. The Eclipse IDE’ LogCat was a good work-a-round. Thanks Carl.

20 Oct 2012, 21:48
Generic-user-small

Armin Gerst (2 posts)

I had another problem on my Huawei Honor. After transfering the sketch to the phone, Processing told me that it was unable to start the sketch. I was able to start it manually directly from the phone menu, but didn’t get println output on the console. adp logcat told me that i could not find the file /dev/log/main or so.

After heavy googling, I found that you have to enable logging in a special secret menu to make it run. To enable this menu you have to dial ##2846579## in the phone app. After enabling the sketch was automatically started after the transfer and println output was seen in the console. Really strange.

Maybe this information is also useful for other phones.

Regards, Armin

19 Mar 2013, 20:00
Ds_2009_mpark_pragsmall

Daniel Sauter (47 posts)

Thank you all for posting the specifics on your “customized” versions of Android. Great info as you can only test only on so many (in the book’s case popular) devices.

Best, Daniel

You must be logged in to comment