27 Feb 2013, 02:59
Generic-user-small

Rami Alshafi (2 posts)

Hi there, I could not understand the .checkTypetag(“iii”) and .checkTypetag(“fff”) from the transmitting side of the Android and PC WiFi communication example [ WiFiDataExchangeAndroid.pde and WiFiDataExchangePC.pde].

I checked the example that comes with oscP5 called oscP5oscArgument.pde and they have checkTypetag(“ifs”).

what I understand so far is that .checkTypetag checks if “iii”, “fff” or “ifs” exist in the coming OSC message and returns a boolean value if it found it or not.

My question is in the sending and transmitting side. Where and when are we embedding and including the “iii” and “fff” in the transmitting message? Are those (“iii” and “fff”) default values that get generated every time we use the .add?

27 Feb 2013, 03:29
Generic-user-small

Rami Alshafi (2 posts)

OK, I found a useful info in the reference of oscP5 which explained the “fff” type tag. This is what I found “e.g. the message contains 3 floats then the typetag would be “fff””. I validated that we have 3 floating accelerometer values. Based on this example, I check the “iii” and all of them are Processing System Variables. mouseX, mouseY and mousePressed. I still do not know what the “s” represent. I think it would be a good idea for the book to elaporate on type tags. Thanks, -Rami

27 Feb 2013, 16:06
Generic-user-small

Jim Poyzer (2 posts)

Rami, Yesterday I did a search on OSCP5 message specifications and found “The Open Sound COntrol 1.0 Specification” and “OpenSound COntrol Spec Examples”. The Ketai Message is related to the OSC messages. The “s” represents an OSC-string, i.e. string data. But there’s much more to it…the data has to be in multiples of 4 8-bit bytes. The integers expected are “int32”. I think the Arduino integers are 16. I have not been successful at building a valid Ketai Message yet. Let me know if you get there. I have a post under something like Arduino to Android Bluetooth Messages.

You must be logged in to comment