17 May 2014, 03:08
Generic-user-small

Sub Wiz (1 post)

Not sure if this is the right place or the right format, but I have been doing the Chapter 8, curtain automation from the “Programming your Home” book. I am using the AF Motor Shield, being that’s capable of running 2 motors, and since I have to curtains next to each other I thought I would 2 motors to operate both curtains. I am new to this, and my problem is that I don’t know how to power both ports “1 & 2” at the same time, I tried to chance the following line “AF_Stepper motor(100, 2);” to AF_Stepper motor(100, 1, 2); to address both ports but I got an error, then I tried to add a second line “AF_Stepper motor(100, 2);” and “AF_Stepper motor(100, 1); also got an error. I would be grateful if anyone could offer any help, thanks

05 Jun 2014, 00:01
Mikeriley_pragsmall

Mike Riley (56 posts)

Sorry for the delay in responding, Sub Wiz - my RSS reader didn’t pick up your post. Thanks to my fellow Prags for letting me know of your question. In order to power both stepper motors simultaneously, you would need two separate controllers. While it can be done with a single Arduino and Motor Shield with enough external voltage, it’s not an easy task using the limited processing capacity of the Arudino. If you’re willing to be a bit adventurous, consider chatting with the Adafruit folks any Wednesday evening when they’re broadcasting their Ask An Engineer show (http://www.adafruit.com/ask). The good folks there will be able to give you a competent second opinion on how much work this will take and how best to tackle the problem. Good luck and let us know how your dual stepper motor configuration works out!

You must be logged in to comment