19 Dec 2011, 01:47
Generic-user-small

Ron McCamish (1 post)

Congrats on the new book. Once downloaded, I immediately skipped to Chap 6 to read about Storyboards. I’m considering using iOS5 Storyboards with a new project with several developers. I envision the potential for merge conflicts with everyone making changes.

Any experience with merging with Storyboards?

One thought is that the conflicts will be localized to a particular view controller section of storyboard since it’s just an XML file. So really it’s no different than if two people change a xib file in IB.

We are using Git/Github if that makes a difference on the merge conflict side.

Thanks for any advice or past experience on this topic and thanks again for writing the book!

ron….

19 Dec 2011, 13:43
Biopic_100x100_pragsmall

Bill Dudney (917 posts)

Hi Ron,

Great question. I’ve not tried it yet but as long as the update is done via Xcode I’d guess the merges would conflict more rarely than if done via the command line. It’s getting pretty good at resolving conflicts in the Xcode project files.

I’ve switched all my personal development to Storyboards, they are really great to work with.

Thanks for the kind words, and please let us know what you find!

28 Aug 2013, 05:37
Generic-user-small

Marcin Olawski (1 post)

Hi Ron,

I once wrote a special app for solving storyboards merge conflicts. You could find it on my web page. The app is free.

MO

You must be logged in to comment