03 Nov 2011, 19:50
Bphogan_pragsmall

Brian P. Hogan (140 posts)

It looks like the jQuery Templates (jquery.tmpl) plugin will no longer be maintained or moved past beta. Since we’re using this a lot in our book, we’re considering removing it, but before we do that, we wanted your feedback.

Do we

1. Say it’s stable enough that it’s in widespread use and you should feel free to use it

2. Remove the jQuery Templates chapter and redo the recipes that use jQuery Templates either without templates or with a replacement library

Would love to hear your thoughts.

03 Nov 2011, 19:58
Generic-user-small

Srdjan Pejic (1 post)

I’m kinda split on this. I’m unsure that I should recommend you guys do more work and jQuery Templates are OK, but I do feel that the book should be as up-to-date as possible. To me, this means not using effectively dead-in-the-water tools, no matter how stable they are.

I vote tentatively for option 2.

03 Nov 2011, 20:10
Generic-user-small

Colin Jack (9 posts)

Having not yet read those chapters….

I’d definitely redo the recipes that use jQuery Templates to use another library, just had a quick look at the jQuery Templates chapter and I’d probably keep it too but make it use your replacement library.

03 Nov 2011, 20:11
Profile_pragsmall

Karmen Blake (3 posts)

I vote option 2. I don’t mind waiting a little longer for the rewrite. Mustache could be a possible replacement library.

03 Nov 2011, 21:02
Bphogan_pragsmall

Thanks for the input. Based on this limited feedback and our own gut reactions, we’re going to try to replace these with Underscore’s templating library. We want people to be able to use one templating library, but we need one that works well with Knockout.js and Backbone.

04 Nov 2011, 14:20
Bphogan_pragsmall

Upon further discussion, we decided that the least destructive way to handle this was to use Mustache.js for our code. This is supported by CouchDB, works fine with Backbone, is a well-supported library, and is very similar in syntax. The Knockout chapter no longer uses templates, because I’ve changed it to use the upcoming 1.3 version of Knockout which has a pretty cool new feature to handle control flow.

So, thanks for your input. We’re excited to bring these changes to you.

30 Nov 2011, 17:53
Generic-user-small

Bharat Ruparel (146 posts)

I am assuming that you will be changing recipe 14 as well to use Mustache templates?

02 Dec 2011, 14:45
Bphogan_pragsmall

@Bharat

Yup. The latest version of the book ships with that change.

You must be logged in to comment