20 Dec 2011, 22:23
Generic-user-small

Jim Bird (1 post)

There is some good Wordpress-specific technical advice in the book. But it’s discouraging if you’re using another platform like Blogger instead. I gave up on chapters 3 and 4 (all of the technical advice on setup and SEO etc) because it seems that I need to be using Wordpress to get full value, or at least I don’t have enough patience to keep reading and looking for something that will work for my platform. Maybe this will be less discouraging in the final version with a good index to make it easier to find Blogger-specific information.

It might be useful to have a section on how to move from Blogger (and maybe any other major blogging platforms) to Wordpress. And what you would lose by doing this (broken links etc). I don’t think I would bother doing this myself, but it might let other people get more value from your book.

26 Dec 2011, 20:05
Photo_10_pragsmall

Eimantas Vaiciunas (9 posts)

What you’re saying is true, but you should look from the other side as well. I also found it a bit discouraging, but then my thoughts followed like this:

• Wordpress is the only one that allows this level of customizability.
  • Blogger (probably) does not allow you to do that kind of customization. Also it’s a google service so it should probably be SEO friendly to google search bots
  • If you’re using jekyll/octopress (as I do) you’re too advanced for this kind of stuff and you’re probably better off writing such plugins yourself.

What I advise you is to take platform independent information from chapters that cover SEO customization. E.g. memorize what to customize (links and slugs, categories, tags and titles) instead of menus and text fields (press there, tap here, activate this checkbox, etc.).

You must be logged in to comment