27 Feb 2012, 06:06
Lie_pragsmall

vmi (3 posts)

I was able to successfully follow along in the book up until Part III. After getting no where on my own I’m hoping to get some help and clarification regarding installation/usage for Compass under Ubuntu. Below is my progress and results so far.

I’m unable to use Compass as described in the book:

sass --compass myfile.scss myfile.css

When using the above command I receive the following error:

OptionParser::InvalidOption: invalid option: --compass
  Use --trace for backtrace.

And although I can successfully use Compass like so:

compass myfile.scss myfile.css

I get the warning:

WARNING: This interface is deprecated. Please use the new subcommand interface.
See `compass help` for more information.

Also following the first instructions for installing Compass gem update –system gives an error:

ERROR:  While executing gem ... (RuntimeError)
    gem update --system is disabled on Debian, because it will overwrite the content of the rubygems Debian package, and might break your Debian system in subtle ways. The Debian-supported way to update rubygems is through apt-get, using Debian official repositories.
If you really know what you are doing, you can still update rubygems by setting the REALLY_GEM_UPDATE_SYSTEM environment variable, but please remember that this is completely unsupported by Debian.

And even though the second step gem install compass says: Successfully installed compass-0.11.7 …when I run compass -v it returns: Compass 0.10.6

• Is there a guideline to the best min. recommended version no. for everything to play nice with each other?
  • Is there a alternate recommended way to install Compass in Ubuntu?
  • How can I get sass –compass to work?

My specs: * Ubuntu v. 11.04 * Gem v. 1.3.7 * Ruby v. 1.8.7 * Haml/Sass v. 3.0.15 (Classy Cassidy) * Compass v. 0.10.6 * libcompass-ruby v. 1.8

You must be logged in to comment