13 Apr 2013, 00:24
Hd-plaxo_pragsmall

Hendie Dijkman (2 posts)

When launching Twitalytics after convertingf it for JRuby, the Company page shows a list of tweets, but the text of the tweets are all garbled as if encrypted.

Anyone else encounter this too?

15 Apr 2013, 07:01
Generic-user-small

Bradford Cottel (6 posts)

Yes, I’m seeing the same thing.

15 Apr 2013, 15:34
Jruby-conf-profile-mug_pragsmall

Joe Kutner (81 posts)

The tweets are being randomly generated as nonsensical text instead of actually connecting to Twitter. This is a very recent update to the book’s code, and apparently the new source code was released without the new text in the book.

The reason for this change is that the twitter API I was using when the book was first released has been deprecated and EOL’ed https://dev.twitter.com/blog/api-v1-retirement-final-dates

But porting the example app to API 1.1 would have required readers to create an oauth token, which would have been unnecessarily hard. That’ why i chose to mock out the twitter client.

Sorry for the confusion. All the examples and everything you learn from the book will be the same without actually connecting to twitter. Let me know if you have more trouble!

15 Apr 2013, 17:31
Generic-user-small

Bradford Cottel (6 posts)

Okay. Maybe a comment at the top of one (maybe the Gemfile) or all of the source code files (or at least controller?) might help… In all caps, maybe? :-)

Thanks Joe. Great book.

You must be logged in to comment