Back to: All Forums  tmux  color names
27 Oct 2012, 17:40
Mark1_pragsmall

R. Mark Volkmann (12 posts)

What are the 16 color names that tmux supports? I know red, green, blue and cyan are four of them and I know I can use colour0 thourgh colour255.

28 Oct 2012, 13:40
Mark1_pragsmall

R. Mark Volkmann (12 posts)

After more googling I now know eight of the 16 colors. They are black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan and white. Are there eight more color names that tmux recognizes?

30 Oct 2012, 18:28
Generic-user-small

Adrian Luff (5 posts)

Generally the 16 colors mentioned are 8 base colors and 8 bright variants.

From the tmux man page: message-bg colour Set status line message background colour, where colour is one of: black, red, green, yellow, blue, magenta, cyan, white, aixterm bright variants (if supported: brightred, brightgreen, and so on), colour0 to colour255 from the 256-colour set, default, or a hexadecimal RGB string such as `#ffffff’, which chooses the closest match from the default 256-colour set.

Depending on the terminal software you use you may be able to redefine these arbitrarily. That is to say, when the terminal calls for “red” (really color #1) you configure your terminal to show orange. I do this with the Solarized color scheme ( http://ethanschoonover.com/solarized ) and Mac Terminal.

You must be logged in to comment