31 Jul 2013, 18:53
Nfjs-headshot-100x134_pragsmall

Howard M. Lewis Ship (3 posts)

Really? I have to say that the book is not quite ready, in terms of a few things I’ve identified. Importantly, the book does not do well for “following along and coding”. If you want to present the book in terms of “here’s a completed section, lets analyze some choice bits” that’s fine, but I believe the promise is “follow along on your own computer and see the result” and that is not ready yet.

I also think some important concepts are not fully introduced; for example the Storyboard API.

09 Nov 2013, 18:24
Generic-user-small

Alexander Kolesnikov (1 post)

I fully agree with Howard, and could add a lot more. There is plenty of work remaining for the editor. For example, I can see that parts of the book were written at different times: the current free version was mentioned, then the old trial version with its annoying reminders. The PlanetDefender project was created, abandoned and then created again with more or less the same wording. Lua tables, the one and single data structure in the language, were mentioned vaguely and briefly and never properly explained. The list can go on and on.

There is also enough work for the author. The most problematic part of it is when some reasoning goes on and on page after page without a specific practical example brought to a state where it would work and show the result. Sections 3.2 and 3.3 are especially notable in this respect (and they are full of wrong numbers, by the way).

I used to expect a much higher quality from PragProg books.

09 Dec 2013, 16:51
Generic-user-small

Jacques Goulet (2 posts)

I fully agree. Additionally, the source code is deprecated. I thought this would be a good how-to guide, but it has caused me to Google for answers more than anything else. I left a review of this book on Amazon. It’s currently the only review, so feel free to create a new one if you’d like.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1QU2IX1W7XXYV?ref_=pe_620760_65501210

11 Dec 2013, 18:12
Silvias_temp_avatar_pragsmall

Silvia Domenech (35 posts)

Hi, We’ve been working on an update for the book, which will soon be accessible from your bookshelves. I recently uploaded the changes to the chapters to address some of your concerns. Some of the steps are more detailed in the book’s new version.

12 Dec 2013, 22:26
Generic-user-small

James Hong (1 post)

Corona SDK got updated to v2 I was hoping the book may be ready for that but not.

You may want to release a quick errata on your book for the code. (such as setreferencePoint)

or add graphicsCompatibility = 1 to config.lua on downloadable code.

15 Dec 2013, 21:57
Silvias_temp_avatar_pragsmall

Silvia Domenech (35 posts)

Hi Jason,

The book is not updated yet, but if you have the pdf version, you will soon be able to download a Graphics 2.0-compatible version. I finished the changes on the 25th of November and the updated chapters are currently in the production pipeline (going through layout and copy-editing). I really hope that they are released soon, but we don’t have an estimated release date yet.

Thanks for the suggestion about releasing a quick errata. I’m going to ask my editor if we can release one so that everyone can at least download a version that uses anchor points while the book update is still in production.

16 Dec 2013, 16:22
Generic-user-small

Jacques Goulet (2 posts)

I would also suggest adding a “Before We Start” section in the very beginning of the book that has the URL to this forum as well as to the updated PDFs since so many changes can take place in such a short amount of time in this industry. Something that jumps right out and says, “This is where updates are posted between book versions (which happen quite often). It’s also a place to provide feedback or ask questions.”

01 Jan 2014, 23:23
Generic-user-small

Lynn Greiner (1 post)

I’d also suggest making it very clear what versions of everything you used. I’m trying to review the hard copy book for a dev site I write for, and many things in the current simulator and SDK (I’m using 2013.2100) don’t match your examples. It’s not good when the “hello world” example (the rectangles) doesn’t work!

BTW, Jacques, the link to your review leads to a 404 page …

You must be logged in to comment