03 Jan 2013, 04:55
Img_0042_pragsmall

Luke Krasnoff (5 posts)

Writing a book on Core Data would be a challenging task. I like that fact that the book contains a reasonably complex sample application, that contains many features one would probably use in their own applications.

I do however find the book structure a bit jarring, in particular when you have read an appendix first, which too quickly covers a complex sample application. I would prefer a much softer start.

1) Start with a really simple core data sample in the early chapters. 2) After the early chapters, build the complex sample application with a Core Data flavour.

Even though this book’s focus is Core Data, I wouldn’t criticise the book for providing a refresher on topics common to most applications (e.g. story boards, application bundles, iOS user interface design etc).

I would like to see clarification of what sample code to use. One way to address this would be to put the sample code in chapter folders. The sample code is a little buggy. Although it’s been interesting finding and resolving the issues, it does distract a little from text.

Despite the issues that I have raised, I have learnt quite a lot from the text, and do not regret at all purchasing the ebook. I think that these suggestions would change a good book to a great book.

28 Dec 2013, 18:21
Headshot_pragsmall

Michael Rowe (1 post)

+1 Luke, I am an intermediate iOS Programmer and am really struggling to learn Core Data. I like reading challenging books, because they get me thinking.

I have high hopes for this book.

01 Jul 2014, 20:26

Marcus S. Zarra (254 posts)

The balance is size. When the first version of the book started by building an application we received a lot of feedback that it was too slow of a start. That people already knew how to build an application (or could read that somewhere else in more detail) and wanted the book to focus on the details of Core Data.

Now in version two people are finding the abrupt start rather rough.

Hopefully we can find a better balance in the next version :)

03 Jul 2014, 07:01
Generic-user-small

rvamerongen (4 posts)

I understands the problem, maybe just have a fine start chapter one, and a jump into the deep chapter two. Any way nice book, have them both! When can we see the update’s that you do have in mind, or at paper, like the delete info request? Do you have a target date?

Thank you very much!

You must be logged in to comment