03 Oct 2013, 02:32
Generic-user-small

David Wilson (11 posts)

Hi.

I’ve just brought the book. Looking forward to getting into it.

I was wondering if It’s possible to get the 1st edition (I’ve got 2nd Edition). the reason being is “The sample application in this second edition focuses on the iPhone instead of the desktop.” as explained on page xi under Sample code.

I want to focus on Mac OS X at this point.

• David
06 Nov 2013, 15:19

Marcus S. Zarra (254 posts)

I will forward your core question on to the editors and find out if the first edition is available in a pdf format at the least.

However, the differences between the desktop and iOS are fairly small with the primary difference being that on the desktop you have bindings to connect Core Data to the User Interface. The rest of Core Data is surprisingly identical between the platforms and you will find a lot of excellent use out of the second edition of the book.

-Marcus

20 Nov 2013, 02:50
Generic-user-small

Jeff Forte (2 posts)

So, if you want to primarily develop apps for OS X then is there a need to get the second edition? Or is the first a better bet … and will the examples work ok in XCode 5 I’m wondering …

01 Dec 2013, 07:14
Generic-user-small

David Wilson (11 posts)

Hi Marcus… thank you for the reply. I have been making some great progress on my CoreData implementation… occasional work in the evenings… Making good use of the book in parts… and have going back today to read the iCloud implementation in conjunction with the WWDC 2013 videos…

I’ve run into some trouble… I’ll post that separately.

You must be logged in to comment