24 Mar 2013, 04:56
Generic-user-small

TR Hockamier (3 posts)

So, I entered the code to run this first sample - manually…

The following warnings came up from the dart editor:

cannot resolve JSON “load” is not a member of Events Method ‘concat’ is deprecated

The first refers JSON.parse(..) - the import dart:json appears to be ok but JSON does not exit The second refers to req.on.load.add((res)… The third refers to html.concat()

I understand Dart is a moving target but i wonder why this book has not seen an update sinc Jan? Given Dart IS fast moving it makes sense to make timely updates…

24 Mar 2013, 05:11
Generic-user-small

TR Hockamier (3 posts)

Added as JSON to resolve the first (should be in the book) Cannot resolve the second I changed the third to be html = html + … (lame)

25 Mar 2013, 01:21
Chris_strom_headshot_200_pragsmall

Chris Strom (56 posts)

The changes that you need to make are in: https://github.com/eee-c/dart-comics/commit/3105eb253595ce23482d3f02955301eb33cecca1#diff-2

They changed on.load.add to onLoad.listen – unfortunately, you’ll find that a lot in the book. The html.concat() thing drives me crazy. In the original book, it was html = html + … then they removed the + operator, now they’re bringing it back.

I definitely agree that more frequent updates are needed. Unfortunately, the Dart changes are happening a bit faster right now than we can keep up with them. It takes a while to process each change, fix it throughout the book, then get the book edited and processed for layout.

My strategy has been to stick to the parts of the API that are more settled (which is why I don’t cover server side stuff). Unfortunately, the event / stream stuff dropped just a little after the book went into edit.

At any rate, I’m already getting started on the changes, but they likely won’t be ready until M4.

You must be logged in to comment