21 Oct 2012, 21:41
Esumbar_pragsmall

Edmund Sumbar (8 posts)

Tip 180 says Command-Control-Power forces a reboot but prompts to save files, while Tip 223 says the same keyboard combination will forcibly shutdown (not reboot) and will NOT prompt to save files. Which is it?

22 Oct 2012, 18:48
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (38 posts)

Thanks for this. I’ll get back to you ASAP.

23 Oct 2012, 08:52
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (38 posts)

Having looked into it, it appears the situation is more complex than I first realised.

If your Mac has an eject button then the tips are correct. If it’s a MacBook Air or Retina MacBook then things get more complicated. Sometimes adding-in the Fn key with the keyboard combination will make them work (substituting the power key for eject). However, there are different rules for different models of the MacBook Air, and some of the shortcuts just don’t work at all. It’s very messy and difficult to write-up, so I’ve decided to remove this tip. Hopefully it will return to the third edition of the book when things have settled down a little.

23 Oct 2012, 08:53
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (38 posts)

To answer your comment, Edmund, you WILL be prompted to save files.

24 Oct 2012, 04:19
Esumbar_pragsmall

Edmund Sumbar (8 posts)

Thanks for your efforts Keir.

“Unfortunately,” I’ve got one of those complicated machines. Hopefully, I won’t have to resort to forcing a shutdown too often… it happened recently when the Mountain Lion update got stuck in an infinite loop. To recover, the Apple telephone support person had me press the Power button for five seconds, which I later learned from your book should have been the last resort.

24 Oct 2012, 18:42
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (38 posts)

In that instance I’d probably have tried holding down Ctrl, Option, Command and Esc for five seconds after switching to the errant app. But I do use the power-button-hold quite a lot when things just get stuck.

You must be logged in to comment