10 Sep 2012, 00:14
Generic-user-small

Bharat Ruparel (146 posts)

Hello Derick, The code download at the github for the first video contains code only up to approx. half of the video. It cuts off where you start to talk about improving the code via namespacing. Is there a reason for doing that or just an oversight? Can you please post the code which takes to the the end of the video? Thanks. Bharat

12 Sep 2012, 13:50
Medium headshot 3_pragsmall

DerickBailey (8 posts)

Hi Bharat,

Can you provide a little more detail about what you were expecting, and where the code cuts off? It’s very likely I missed something in trying to get everything set up for each episode.

FWIW - The intention of the code downloads is to give you the starting point for each episode so that you can follow along and code the app yourself as part of the learning process. I tried to get each episode’s code set to the starting point of the episode, specifically for this purpose.

15 Sep 2012, 23:01
Generic-user-small

Bharat Ruparel (146 posts)

Hello Derick, Sorry for the late response. Was busy at work tending fires. Now the weekend is my time for learning Backbone, so here I am. OK. Your response explains a few things. I did not know that you tried to line up each episode’s code at the starting point since I started looking at the code for the first episode. The code actually takes me midway through the episode (approx. 12th minute) where you start namespacing your code, so it cuts off just before that. I understand you wanting for us to follow along. That is the best way to learn which is what I did with Ryan Bate’s two screencasts on Backbone with Rails:

http://railscasts.com/episodes/323-backbone-on-rails-part-1

http://railscasts.com/episodes/325-backbone-on-rails-part-2

Ryan usually provides before and after images for the code for each episode that he produces. This can be very useful since while learning you are not very sure of yourself when things can and do go wrong. It is quite useful to “peek” ahead and find your mistakes and make course corrections.

The fact that you started the code for the first episode at midway point confused me. No worries.

So I can assume that the code for episode 2 then points to the end of episode 1 ? Similarly code for episode 3 should then point to the end of episode 2 then and the code for episode 4 should then point to the end of episode 3, and finally, the code for the finished product (labeled 5) will be the code for the end of episode 4. Is that what you intended it to be? Mind you, I haven’t started working through the videos yet so I may have further questions on this.

Also, I am an experienced Ruby on Rails developer, intermediate javascript/jQuery developer, and an inexperienced/beginning Backbone developer. My main motivation in learning Backbone is to “structure” the “disorganized” jQuery Javascript/Coffeescript code that I have created while working on my product for the slightly more than a year now. The code works, but it is the maintenance and extensibility aspect of it going forward then worries me. That is why I am looking at Backbone. I see that you are a Rails developer yourself. Any advice that you have on this will be very welcome.

Thanks.

Bharat

15 Oct 2012, 21:49
Medium headshot 3_pragsmall

DerickBailey (8 posts)

Hi Bharat,

My apologies for not getting back to you faster. I don’t get notices of comments here, and I forgot to check back during the last month. :(

Regarding Ep2 - yes, the code for Ep2 is the starting point for Ep2, which is also the end of Ep1. Each of the remaining episodes should be set up this way.

For the code in Ep1 - that was a mistake on my part. I meant for the code to start at the beginning of each episode. I’ll get this updated as soon as I can.

Regarding rails - the Rails asset pipeline is an amazing tool. Take advantage of it, and use it to split your JavaScript app in to many small files instead of one large file like this screencast shows. That’s something I wish I had done during the recording of this screencast.

Hope that helps. Again, sorry for not responding sooner.

You must be logged in to comment