07 Feb 2013, 10:25
Generic-user-small

Rob Stocker (2 posts)

Hi Chris, thoroughly enjoying the book so far. The approach is gentle and perfect for my students at CoderdojoGalway. I will be recommending it to kids,parents and mentors.

Rob Lead Mentor coderdojogalway.com

07 Feb 2013, 14:00
Chris_strom_headshot_200_pragsmall

Chris Strom (78 posts)

Wow. Thanks so much for the kind words–they are really humbling! It makes me want to work that much harder to finish the last few chapters and polish the rest.

If you run across any problems or have any suggestions on how we might do something a little better, please pass them along. We want the experience to be as smooth as possible for first timers–even small things help :)

Thanks again!

-Chris

07 Feb 2013, 16:01
20101211149_pragsmall

Mark Maglana (6 posts)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Rob. I’ve been looking for ways to help my 6 yr old son learn how to make games. He’s always asking me about it (Even more so now after seeing me play XCOM:EU!) and I keep looking for resources that will give him the right level of learning.

Would you recommend it to a 6 yr old without programming experience?

07 Feb 2013, 16:24
20101211149_pragsmall

Mark Maglana (6 posts)

Well, the topic does say ‘For Kids of all Ages’ (doh) but I want to ask anyway to understand what might be the challenges to look out for when teaching a kid for the first time.

07 Feb 2013, 17:38

Chris Strom (78 posts)

I’ll be honest, 6 is probably too young. I have tried much of this material in hackathon settings with friends of my kids. The youngest group that I tried was 8 and only about 50% of them had the patience for the concepts (and typing) involved. I would imagine that the percentages would drop significantly the younger the kids got. That’s not to say that it’s out of the question, but it’s unlikely that most 6 year olds would be engaged sufficiently.

Something like Super Scratch Programming Adventure! might be a little more the right speed for that age.

But if you try this book anyway, do let me know how it goes :)

07 Feb 2013, 21:49
Generic-user-small

Rob Stocker (2 posts)

@Mark for a six year old I’d agree scratch is the way to go.

I’d also recommend my own tutorial (if I may be so bold)

http://kata.coderdojo.com/wiki/How_to_build_a_HTML_game_in_5_lines

(it’s designed to be ultra simplistic and totally non-technical.)

@Chris Meanwhile: As you know I’ve done a bit of tweeting (which got retweeted by a few mentors worldwide (including Bill one of the co-founders of coderdojo) and I emailed the parents of the dojo I’m involved recommending they get the book in preparation for next Saturday.

My dojo begins it’s new year term on the 9th and I’ll be introducing the ICE editor (a few of the kids will have the book by then I’d guess.)

I’ll keep you informed as to how both the kids and the parent/mentors react, as I’m convinced they will lap it up. I’ll also write a few blogs once I’ve properly assimilated all of it.

07 Feb 2013, 22:29
Billgathen_pragsmall

Bill Gathen (28 posts)

I’ve bookmarked Super Scratch Programming Adventure for my son (who’s 8), but my 10 1/2 year old daughter is an obsessed reader (Harry Potter FTW) and got very excited reading through the description.

Would this be something we would need to work through together, or something she’d be OK doing on her own? Certainly not a deal-breaker either way. :-)

08 Feb 2013, 13:32

Chris Strom (78 posts)

@Rob Awesome! I really appreciate the publicity and any feedback that you can provide. It’s wonderful :)

@Bill She can probably get through much it on her own. There may be spots where you’ll need to lend a hand (especially while still in beta), but we try to do a fair amount of hand-holding in the first half of the book.

08 Feb 2013, 21:06
20101211149_pragsmall

Mark Maglana (6 posts)

Thanks Rob and Chris! I’ll have him start with Scratch before proceeding to this book. We’ll see how it goes.

A little backgrounder: my son’s been playing Spore Galactic Adventures for months now and he likes designing worlds more than playing what others have made. I guess that’s a good start? :-)

05 May 2014, 05:39
Generic-user-small

Mark Paul (1 post)

I have been playing games since long and always had the urge to develop these once. I appreciate the interest of developing at a very early age.

http://www.instant-gaming.com/fr/

You must be logged in to comment