16 Feb 2013, 20:55
Generic-user-small

Guzman Monne (1 post)

First of all I would like to congratulate you for the book. I really enjoy the way you choose to teach by example letting the reader experiment with the code before getting to all the intricacies of it. It is a great approach and I am learning a lot.

The reason I am writing this thread is in regards of the unfinished chapter 11 of the beta version. I imagine that you probably already know how to continue it and this is not going to be the first suggestion you got. Nonetheless, I would like to share it with you.

Since the part where we make our character walk through the forest I started to remember the first 3D games I ever played. The one that pop first into my mind was “Megaman Legends” for the PS1. I loved that game. It was mostly an action games but it also had a lot of exploration. There were many ruins scattered which you could visit to find new parts and crafts to build and improve your weapons.

I think that a great way to continue with this example is to have the character move around the forest trying to find a chest containing some kind of treasure. At first the chest could be easily spotted but then we could hide it, so the hero needs to move around to find it. We could show the treasure when he finds it (“Legend of Zelda” style), etc.

Well, that is it. I will continue with my reading now. Thanks again for the great work!

17 Feb 2013, 04:56
Chris_strom_headshot_200_pragsmall

Chris Strom (57 posts)

Glad you like the book so far and thanks for the suggestion! Great minds must think alike ­– I was thinking about doing something along those lines as well :)

I hadn’t thought of making the goal an actual treasure, though. That might be nice – a good chance to build another object from parts.

It would be real nice to add fog / mist to the scene to make the hunt a bit more challenging. That’s something for later in the book, though.

Anyway, much thanks for the suggestion – I really appreciate it!

23 Feb 2013, 14:56
Generic-user-small

ron campbell (14 posts)

As my input for this string, I think the scavenger hunt idea for a game is good and can pull kids in because they are close to somethiung they can share(show off) to their friends.

Looking at the audience I want to bring this book to (10 year olds), anything that ties to minecraft type modeling/gaming is a good thing, and early steps to shaere and get encouraged is bonus.

23 Feb 2013, 18:19

Chris Strom (57 posts)

I might be able to incorporate some minecraft-like modelling – or at least terrain. Some of the shading /textures would require WebGL. Even without that, it sounds like it’ll be worth exploring. Thanks!

01 Mar 2013, 09:13
Generic-user-small

Darren Hunt (1 post)

There have been several discussions in our household for the past week.

My daughter, Sophie, originally suggested a collect apples from trees idea. Having read ahead and knowing that we had a fruit based subject coming up, I countered with - collect body parts for your avatar - starting as a round ball and build up your avatar with arms, legs, head etc as you walk around the map. Sophie also likes the idea of a maze - but I wonder if its too early to introduce maze algorithm concepts at this stage - although this is a great concept for a chapter in itself.

My final offering, albiet not a scavenger hunt is a 3D Frogger concept (maybe an original idea because I’ve only played this in 2D), moving the avatar up the screen with the frogs (green spheres) getting faster or narrower. If the perspective makes it unplayable move the avatar from left to right and have frogs positioned on the z-axis.

01 Mar 2013, 19:47

Chris Strom (57 posts)

Ooh! Nice ideas.

Just to be clear: it does not have to be a scavenger hunt. I should rename this thread and we should rename the chapter. I had originally thought a scavenger hunt might be nice, but it could be anything – including a maze (that does seem ambitious).

Sophie’s apple idea is pretty cool (I don’t mind too much fruit!). A tree could shake if it has a ripe apple / you have to jump up to grab it before it goes rotten. That could definitely be an idea worth exploring.

The find-the-part idea would be pretty funny. It might require much code rework, though. Or maybe the parts are always there, but invisible to start?

I’d love Frogger, but that would probably be best with physics for collision detection. Maybe grist for a bonus chapter! (don’t tell my editor I said that :P)

24 Apr 2013, 17:00
Billgathen_pragsmall

Bill Gathen (28 posts)

The first thing that came to my mind was “Lost Lunch!” (Yes, it is noon here :-) On your walk to school your lunchbox fell out of your backpack and you have to retrace your steps to find it and the contents.

The lunchbox could be a rectangle with half a torus for a handle, another rectangle (or a stack of 3) for a sandwich, a red ball for an apple or part of a yellow torus for a banana. You could re-use the road and trees from the previous examples.

As a variation on the “apple collecting” idea, you could shake each tree (by bumping into the boundary) to make apples fall out. Some are green, some are red, some are black (rotted). Picking up ripe ones adds points, picking up rotten ones takes points away. A time limit would add energy. The “shake a tree” animation would be a fun one, I think. :-)

Thoroughly-enjoying the book so far!

25 Apr 2013, 16:26

Chris Strom (57 posts)

@Bill I ended up going with variation of the fruit hunt one (though the fruit looks an awful lot like coins). I have to admit, I like the idea of bumping into the trees to jar the fruit loose. I wish I had thought of that. Maybe something for edition #2 :)

Thanks for the ideas and the kind words! Let me know what you think of the upcoming chapters when they’re released (should be shortly).

25 Apr 2013, 16:31

Chris Strom (57 posts)

@Darren We’d like to give Sophie credit in the book for the game idea :)

Can you shoot me an email at chris@gamingjs.com so that we can gather the necessary information / permissions. Thanks!

You must be logged in to comment