02 Mar 2013, 02:19
Generic-user-small

John DeHope (1 post)

I accidentally gave a sphere about 15000 rings and it locked up my ICE editor tab in chrome, trying to background render it. I never could get the tab to come back. Even reloading just restored the editor to the last prior state, putting me right back where I was. I ended up just wiping my local storage and essentially loosing all my work in ICE. No biggie, I am in hour 2 of playing with it so it’s not a huge loss. If you’re doing any serious work, I suggest backing up or something?!

Would it be possible to detect such a situation and stop background rendering?

02 Mar 2013, 17:55
Chris_strom_headshot_200_pragsmall

Chris Strom (79 posts)

You’re definitely not the first person to do exactly that – I think my son tried 1 million rings(!). Check out Appendix 1, “When ICE is Broke”.

Bottom line: go to http://gamingjs.com/ice/?e (add the ?e query string) for edit-only mode in ICE. Fix the problem, then remove the query string to get back to edit + visualization mode.

I think that, by the time things go this wrong there is nothing to be done. If I get the chance, I’ll see if I can come up with “script is not responding” solution, but for now, edit-only mode is the way to go.

You must be logged in to comment