22 Dec 2013, 18:10
Ken-icon_pragsmall

Kenneth Whittaker (1 post)

My son is not allowed to have a full powered computer due to his school performance.

However, he can use a raspberry pi (not much fun for full featured games).

No Chrome on the pi, but “chromium”? Is there some guidance for using this book with the pi, or will it just not work? If not, any suggestions? This book looks like a fun way to learn… but I’m leery about giving my son his computer back.

24 Dec 2013, 19:55
Chris_strom_headshot_200_pragsmall

Chris Strom (55 posts)

I have yet to test this on a Pi. The lowest powered machine that I have used is a low-end Chromebook which actually works fairly well.

I can only speculate, but I think it is safe to assume that the first half of the book would work fairly well on Chromium/Pi. Chapters 1-11 rely entirely on <canvas> tags for the graphics rather than WebGL. So even low-powered Chrome/Chromium machines should be OK. Some of the animations (and possibly the collision detection in chapters 10 & 11) might run slower than normal, but ought to be OK.

The fancier graphics in later chapters rely on WebGL, which is hit-or-miss on hardware. My guess is that it would not work on a Pi. Perhaps incentive to improve school performance?

You must be logged in to comment