25 Apr 2014, 10:21
Generic-user-small

Rob Balfre (2 posts)

Light table is bleeding edge (v0.6.5) so why oh why use it as the default editor in this book??! The Light Table figures are already out of date, CMD+T does nothing and I’m getting ‘java.io.FileNotFoundException…’ from the first guestbook example. So far this book has taught me that Clojure web development is just going to be a very steep uphill struggle, so back to Python and JS for me!

#ragequit

26 Apr 2014, 19:49
Profile_pic_pragsmall

Dmitri Sotnikov (44 posts)

Eclipse was originally used as the default editor and many beta readers found that having to set it up and learn its idioms distracted from the focus of the book. Most readers found that Light Table was much easier to get started with and the feedback I received regarding it was overwhelmingly positive. However, if it’s not working out for you then I encourage you to try out other IDE options that are available. These are covered in the appendix in the book.

30 Apr 2014, 19:05
Generic-user-small

Rob Balfre (2 posts)

Is this an isolated case just with me then or have you attempted your first chapter on a clean install (OSX in this case)?

01 May 2014, 03:37
Profile_pic_pragsmall

It appears that a small number of people experience issues with Light Table. I’ve tested the code from the chapter on fresh installs of OS X and Ubuntu. I’m also using Light Table for small projects day to day.

As I said though, Light Table is by no means required and both Emacs and Eclipse environments are quite mature.

17 May 2014, 00:04
Generic-user-small

patrick lynch (12 posts)

I tried running the commands on page 3 but was unable to do so until I changed my $PATH. The command I tried was: leon run First. This worked after changing my $PATH.

I am now stuck with the command ‘lein ring server’. I get the error message: ‘ring is not a task’.

I’m running on a iMac with Mavericks installed.

I’d appreciate any help. Thank you.

17 May 2014, 11:23
Profile_pic_pragsmall

The lein ring server opetion uses the ring plugin to run. To check that the plugin is present open the project.clj file and make sure that you have [lein-ring "0.8.10"] or similar under the :plugins key. If the plugin is not in your project file it means that you did not use a web profile when creating a new project using lein.

For example, if you create a project by running lein new guestbook, it will use the default template and will not add any plugins for web applications. However, if you create the project using lein new compojure-app guestbook as is described on page 4 of the book, then it will have the necessary plugins and you will be able to run lein ring server from its root folder.

You must be logged in to comment