01 Jun 2014, 02:59
Sephel_newavatar_noback_pragsmall

Sephel (4 posts)

I’m on page 37 trying to run build.sh through Windows 8 PowerShell. The instructions in the book read to cd to code/HelloWorld (which I did), and then type “./build.sh”. But whenever I do that, I get the following error:

Program build.sh failed to run: No application is associated with the specified file for this operationAt line:1 char:1 + .\build.sh + ~~~~~~~~~~. At line:1 char:1 + .\build.sh + ~~~~~~~~~~ + CategoryInfo : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [], ApplicationFailedException + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandFailed

Any advice on what I should do? Thanks.

01 Jun 2014, 09:26

Sephel (4 posts)

So it seems I was able to run the .sh through installing Cygwin (I could never figure out how to get BusyBox working…), pointing a path to its bin environment, and executing the command “sh .\build.sh”. But now I’m getting a new problem. It says:

“/home/Jordan/Desktop/server/bukkit.jar doesn’t seem to exist. Make sure you have bukkit.jar installed at /home/Jordan/Desktop/server and run again. If your server is not at /home/Jordan/Desktop/server, set your MCSERVER environment variable to point to the correct directory.”

But bukkit.jar does exist! I’m using the latest recommended build of bukkit, I renamed it correctly, and I’m positive its in my server folder on the Desktop. I’ve been at this problem for over 3 hours and I can’t figure out what I’ve done wrong despite hours of Googling. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

01 Jun 2014, 18:28

Sephel (4 posts)

Update #2:

Figured out how to install BusyBox and now everything works fine. For anyone who runs a search and finds they have one of the same problems as I did above, just go to page 3 and follow the instructions to install BusyBox. PowerShell alone won’t cut it (and cygwin didn’t work me).

01 Jun 2014, 18:58
Andy-talking_pragsmall

Andrew Hunt (125 posts)

Yup, if you stray from the path you may get “interesting” results.

I’ve always found Cygwin to be very promising but very fiddly and inconsistent. BusyBox is simple and mostly just works.

Out of curiosity, what problem did you run into installing BusyBox in the first place? It should just be a download and a rename.

/\ndy

01 Jun 2014, 19:26

Sephel (4 posts)

I didn’t know to rename it sh.exe, and I didn’t know to create the batch file that would run it – but only because I skipped over page 3 thinking “PowerShell will do just fine”. That’s what I get for thinking I know more than I do!

Great book by the way! I’m a full-time employee (map maker) over at mcpvp.com and I’m trying to learn java so I can make some of my ideas come to life without needing to hound the coders for months. I’ve really enjoyed everything in the first few chapters I’ve read and you make everything so clear and easy to follow for a beginner. Thank you!

03 Jun 2014, 14:07
Andy-talking_pragsmall

Andrew Hunt (125 posts)

Cool, thanks!

/\ndy

26 Jun 2014, 21:54
Generic-user-small

Howard Abraham (4 posts)

Is BusyBox compatible with Windows 8.1? I couldn’t get it to work.

26 Jun 2014, 22:32
Andy-talking_pragsmall

Andrew Hunt (125 posts)

I haven’t heard of anyone having problems on 8.1, what error do you get?

/\ndy

27 Jun 2014, 15:51
Generic-user-small

Howard Abraham (4 posts)

I was able to get it working. I’m not sure what the problem was earlier.

CygWin is nicer from a scaling perspective. On my 3200x1800 screen the cmd.exe is barely legible. Admittedly, that is a Windows problem but it compels me to use CygWin, if possible.

27 Jun 2014, 16:56
Andy-talking_pragsmall

Andrew Hunt (125 posts)

You can make the font a lot larger in the terminal window.

Cygwin has a lot more features, but it also has a lot more bugs and unexpectedly weird behavior at the most inconvenient times.

/\ndy

You must be logged in to comment