06 Jun 2014, 19:15
Miguel2_pragsmall

Miguel Angel Diez Bielsa (5 posts)

Hi,

Is it possible to get the scripts for windows (.bat)?

06 Jun 2014, 19:32
Miguel2_pragsmall

Ah!, Is build.sh same for every plugin?. If it is, I translate it

Thanks.

07 Jun 2014, 14:53
Andy-talking_pragsmall

Andrew Hunt (114 posts)

Miguel, you should not translate it to a .bat file.

One of the goals of the book is to teach some basics and familiarity with a POSIX/Unix shell, as that’s a skill that will serve you well for years to come.

Although it may be uncomfortable, good things come to you once you get out of your comfort zone.

/\ndy

08 Jun 2014, 11:45
Miguel2_pragsmall

Andy,

I think like you but I pretend, this summer, teach to my child, what I have learned reading this book and he is going more confortable with Windows because is the system that he use.

Regards

08 Jun 2014, 13:24
Andy-talking_pragsmall

Andrew Hunt (114 posts)

Well, you can use windows and the supplied scripts under busybox, and once you get everything installed for him, he only needs to type the command to build.

If you really wanted to avoid the shell scripts all together, I’d suggest using an IDE such as Eclipse instead of translating these to .bat files.

/\ndy

08 Jun 2014, 13:33
Miguel2_pragsmall

Ok, Andy

Before to buy your book, I was trying to make plugins with several tutorials. It was made the plugins with Eclipse.

Can you tell me what tutorial or pattern is better in order to make plugins with Eclipse?

Regards.

22 Jun 2014, 19:23
Andy-talking_pragsmall

Andrew Hunt (114 posts)

I don’t cover Eclipse, because I think it’s needlessly complicated and difficult for beginners, and it gets in the way of experts.

So if you’re looking for instructions that are tailored to Eclipse, you probably don’t want my book.

However, the actual building of plugins (using Eclipse or a script or manually calling javac) is pretty trivial. That’s not the hard part, and really it doesn’t matter what you use.

The harder part is understanding Java language concepts and the elements of the Bukkit API used to build plugins. That’s what I cover in my book.

Enjoy!

/\ndy

You must be logged in to comment