30 Mar 2012, 12:23
Generic-user-small

Rob Ingram (3 posts)

Hi,

I’m finding that the epub version of this book keeps crashing my Kobo Touch ereader. I can sometimes get around this by going to sections directly from the TOC rather than turning pages but it is a pain as I keep having to reboot the reader.

I’ve read plenty of other PragProg books on the ereader without any problems, it just seem to be this one that causes the issue.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Rob.

31 Mar 2012, 16:22
Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall

Dave Thomas (337 posts)

We don’t have one that we can try it on. Have you tried contacting Kobo? (If the device crashes, it would seem to me they have a problem in their code…)

02 Apr 2012, 12:05
Generic-user-small

Rob Ingram (3 posts)

I’ll give that a try. Would it be possible to send them the epub file for debugging purposes or will that breach my licence?

02 Apr 2012, 15:33
Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall

Dave Thomas (337 posts)

Please do. They can contact dave@pragprog.com if they want to discuss it directly.

Thanks!

08 Apr 2012, 16:11
Generic-user-small

Rob Ingram (3 posts)

Kobo are refusing to do anything because I didn’t buy the book through them and are not interested in talking to you directly, which any of your readers who are thinking of buying a Kobo eReader should take note of.

However, one suggestion that they did make is that the book could be too large for the eReader to handle. I noticed that another post on this forum said something similar. I know that you said then that releasing the book one file per chapter wouldn’t be possible but would it maybe be worth considering releasing the ‘tutorial’ and reference sections separately?

Rob.

04 Jan 2013, 22:21
Generic-user-small

Dave Pirie (1 post)

I found this thread after endless Googling because I too couldn’t read the ePub versions of your books on my Kobo Glo. I got the same response from their support people: that because it wasn’t their file, they couldn’t do anything.

Just to see if it would work, I downloaded the mobi (Kindle) versions of all of my books and converted them to ePub with Calibre. I transferred those ePubs to my Kobo and they all work just fine.

Happy e-reading,

Dave

You must be logged in to comment