27 Jul 2012, 21:19
Generic-user-small

Sean Lindsay (5 posts)

Hi,

Thanks for making this book available for the Kindle. I just wanted to point out that the code has some formatting problems. The bottom parts of the code disappear off to the left. It’s almost as if right-tab was 2 spaces and left-tab was 4 spaces so that by the time you get to the end of the code listing, the “end” statement, and sometimes other statements, are beyond the left margin.

Just wanted to let you know in case you hadn’t seen this before. I just downloaded the latest version of the eBook.

01 Aug 2012, 07:48
Generic-user-small

Damian Bradford (1 post)

Hi, I’m also experiencing this problem, it gets quite perplexing as you can imagine, when bits are missing off to the left. Also the code and tables are sometimes unreadable as they are blurred and I find myself searching the text to find out what the characters are. Other than that enjoying the book so far!

01 Aug 2012, 16:13
Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall

Dave Thomas (338 posts)

Strange—I’ll look in to it.

08 Aug 2012, 13:17
Generic-user-small

Gabe Levy (1 post)

Me too. It seems to cut the first couple of letters of the code words when unindented - words such as “end”, “puts”, etc. May be there are other cases too but these seemed to be the most obvious.

08 Aug 2012, 19:48
Dave_gnome_head_isolated_pragsmall

Dave Thomas (338 posts)

Well, that took a while to track down. It turns out to be a bug in some, but not all, Kindle renderers. Believe it or not, the answer is to pad short lines with spaces!

Anyway, try downloading again and see if the problem is fixed for you. We’ve tried it on devices here successfully, but there’s a lot of variation in the real world.

20 Aug 2012, 16:25
Generic-user-small

Sean Lindsay (5 posts)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for fixing that bug! It now works on my Kindle Touch (Firmware version 5.1.2) perfectly.

I wanted to compliment you and your company on being so responsive to us, the readers. I think that Pragmatic Programmers is one of the best publishers around. Thanks again!

08 Sep 2012, 18:26
Jason_gravatar_pragsmall

Jason Rogers (1 post)

Just wanted to +1/fav/like/etc. the sentiment that PragProgs are one of the best publishers around! I’m using this book as a reference for teaching an intro. course to programming with Ruby to home-schooled high-schoolers. Thanks Dave et al.

You must be logged in to comment