29 Nov 2009, 08:04
Generic-user-small

Elias Asmar (2 posts)

I picked up the book on Thanksgiving day. It looked interesting to me so I bought it. I never realy did any real programing, but I’ve looked at few books in the past, and here are my first impressions of the book. the first 5 chapters looked ok to me. When I got to chapter 6 I felt that the explanations got shorter and not very clear. For instance: 1) Last line on page 38 for ljust+rjust was not clearly explained. 2) the srand on page 42 is very vague. How does the seed number affect the results? What does 1976 represent? 3) In the Deaf Grandma extended exercise in chapter 7 you used a counter that was never explained in the chapter. Instead I see a full page wasted on page 60 showing the same principle 4 times. What happened to “DRY” :-)?!!

4)Then there is a whole paragraph on page 69 just to explain that “doing nothing 200 times is still doing nothing”. I feel here that I don’t really see good examples and explanations where important issues are, but some elaborate ones when it is not needed. I am not sure if I am missing something here. I understand you do not use comments in your code, but when a newby reads your book it would be very helpful that you do. I will stop here at chapter 8 and start over hoping this will help. I would appreciate it if you have any suggestions for me to how to tackle the subject correctly. Thanks.

29 Nov 2009, 17:34
Generic-user-small

Elias Asmar (2 posts)

I intended to post this on the “Learn to program 2” forum . Is there a way to move it?

You must be logged in to comment