24 Apr 2008, 01:05
Me_at_euruko08_square_-_head_only_pragsmall

Dr Nic (9 posts)

E Text Editor is a TextMate clone for Windows; it supports TextMate bundles, and as such, it now supports the latest Rails 2.0 Textmate bundle. It also automatically installs + uses cygwin for access unix cmds etc.

24 Apr 2008, 11:26
Samr_small_pragsmall

Sam Ruby (584 posts)

Thanks!

24 Apr 2008, 13:04
Generic-user-small

Devin Walters (9 posts)

I would like to ditto e-text editor as being a fantastic clone. It costs money, though. When do we get our *nix TextMate, gentlemen?

01 May 2008, 23:34
Generic-user-small

Joseph Cooper (1 post)

I would like to third e-texteditor. I have tried a lot of editors for rails (jedit, radrails[not the new one however], a bunch of others i can’t remember) and e-texteditor has been by far the best.

23 May 2008, 03:43
Generic-user-small

Joshua Cooper (3 posts)

E-Text Editor Rocks… have only just been using it and heaps easy to use. highly recommend this editor.

23 May 2008, 22:49
Sami2_pragsmall

Sami Bashraheel (1 post)

I found netbeans 6.1 is also awesome. Pretty easy to use to too, with easy generate.

24 May 2008, 06:50
Generic-user-small

James West (98 posts)

Aptana Studio

Totally awesome with RadRails plugin plus the new cloud will have support for really simple deployment

24 Jun 2008, 18:44
Smallcat_pragsmall

Bill Thayer (9 posts)

Netbeans 6.1 might be OK for experienced programmers but this newbie found it slow and confusing and slow.

Can’t go wrong with JEdit however I did have to edit the modes\catalog.xml file to add html.erb to the rhtml glob and add rjs to the ruby glob.

31 Jul 2008, 11:44
M_v_shokhirev_pragsmall

Mikhail V. Shokhirev (a.k.a. Mike Shock) (19 posts)

There’s a good review of the Ruby/Rails IDE/editors at: http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2007/11/26/Ruby-Tool-Survey I personally prefer NetBeans-6 for my Rails projects (for I love its good SVN support and fine code completeion). But to make small changes in 1 or 2 source files, I use Kate editor under Linux. Or sometimes, gedit…

31 Jul 2008, 14:00
Felipe300_pragsmall

Felipe Andrés Cerda Barra (2 posts)

I always use NetBeans 6.1 for Rails. It’s really awesome and no, it’s not complicated! actually it’s really easy for begginers too.

01 Aug 2008, 07:26
Generic-user-small

Wayde Gilliam (18 posts)

Started with Textmate … switched to NetBeans 6.1, and thanks to its superb subversion integration and debugging features, I’m staying put :)

07 Aug 2008, 04:38
M_v_shokhirev_pragsmall

Mikhail V. Shokhirev (a.k.a. Mike Shock) (19 posts)

I came across a newer review, in which 9 IDEs for RoR are compared: http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/07/07/28TC-ruby-ides_1.html BTW, the only “Excellent”/9.0 mark was given to my favourite NetBeans IDE. :-)

09 Aug 2008, 00:34
Generic-user-small

Soh Dubom (2 posts)

I’ve tested many editors as well. For Windows looks like e-texteditor is well quoted, but imho inType (although in alphas stages and slow development pace) wins e-texteditor for the following reasons:

1. Small footprint > very fast and light: the developers are very keen to this detail

2. Does not rely on cygwin > the developers are into avoiding bloated software

3. Future inType versions will use Javascript API

I believe inType has a better potential than its competitors.

12 Aug 2008, 02:58
Untitled-1_pragsmall

William T (1 post)

I find E to be a lackluster product. Its regular expression handling is much inferior to TextMate (basically, my regexps work in TextMate but often not in E). Also E is very slow.<P>I recommend EditPad Pro. It is no IDE (and doesn’t support TextMate bundles) but it suits me and is relatively lightweight.

13 Aug 2008, 00:59
Generic-user-small

KenA (16 posts)

Anyone using VIM or eMacs? … I just installed VIM, but the learning curve will be very steep, plus I´m not sure if these kind of editors are the right ones for RoR development. If you ask a hardcore unix user he probably will say yes, but it looks like passion for the editor than enything else. Some links:

1. http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/HowtoUseVimWithRails
  2. http://rails.vim.tpope.net/

I´m using Windows and although inType or e-texteditor are good candidates they´re still buggy imho … unfortunately there´s no real textmate for windows … i don´t consider e-texteditor finished yet …

Some may say to use IDEs, but I hate them so…

20 Aug 2008, 03:21
Dscn5781_pragsmall

Michael Mattingly (14 posts)

I attempted to use NetBeans 6.1 but found it too complicated. I spent a week just trying to code the sample applications in various Rails books. I decided to switch to Instant Rails with e-TextEditor & have been having a much easier time. I think the problem is documentation. The vast majority of reference material for Rails uses something other than NetBeans. So when you want to code something in NetBeans you have to spend a bit of time trying to learn how to reproduce the results in an application that at times sounds nothing like your reference material. Other than the lack of NetBeans-specific documentation, I think it will eventually be a good tool for Rails. It was great for Ruby, although a bit slow at times.

You must be logged in to comment