28 Nov 2008, 22:13
Generic-user-small

Tony (9 posts)

Ryan:

I tried in many ways, but I had no luck.

1) What I need to do is to allow non-members (unregistered members) to be able to send letters to the editor using the stand alone entry form.

2) Also how can I allow non-members (unregistered members) to send comments through the comment form?

Are these possible?

29 Nov 2008, 00:16
Ryanirelan_headshot_48x48_pragsmall

Ryan Irelan (218 posts)

bq. 1) What I need to do is to allow non-members (unregistered members) to be able to send letters to the editor using the stand alone entry form.

ExpressionEngine requires (for security reasons) membership in order to post entries using the SAEF. You can possibly create a generic member and somehow provide a simple way for people to login using generic credentials.

bq. 2) Also how can I allow non-members (unregistered members) to send comments through the comment form?

This is definitely possible. Go to Admin > Weblog Administration > Weblog Management and choose the Edit Preferences for the blog you want to allow comments. From there choose Comment Posting Preferences and adjust the second item “Require membership in order to post comments?” to “Yes.”

29 Nov 2008, 06:48
Generic-user-small

Tony (9 posts)

Ryan:

Thanks a lot. You are the best!

bq. ExpressionEngine requires (for security reasons) membership in order to post entries using the SAEF. You can possibly create a generic member and somehow provide a simple way for people to login using generic credentials.

I had the feeling that security issues could be at play here. While searching for solutions for my question, I ran into solspace’s Freeform. I was able to set up Example 1 (as shown http://www.solspace.com/docs/entry/freeform_form/). Unregistered users can send information into Freeform section of EE; I hope this will not pose some security problems.

bq. This is definitely possible. Go to Admin > Weblog Administration > Weblog Management and choose the Edit Preferences for the blog you want to allow comments. From there choose Comment Posting Preferences and adjust the second item “Require membership in order to post comments?” to “Yes.”

This is easier than I thought. While trying to answer my own question here, I reproduced and applied what you did in creating the community_discounts - but I created a new section, created a new template inside the new section and entered the search-form code from your php file, and then un-restricted the entire template. But it did not work.

29 Nov 2008, 14:15

Ryan Irelan (218 posts)

bq. Unregistered users can send information into Freeform section of EE; I hope this will not pose some security problems.

The FreeForm module is excellent and I use it on almost every project. You shouldn’t have any problems with it.

03 Dec 2008, 19:33
Generic-user-small

Tony (9 posts)

Ryan, Thanks a lot.

If you do not mind, can you help me with Freeform?

Is there a way to set up Freeform so that what a user enters into Freeform is automatically redirected to and saved in another template?

I.e., I create a new template somewhere in EE and light it up with a combination of EE code and Freeform code. Then when a user submits something to Freeform, the information is sent to and stored in the new template.

Thanks in advance! I searched solspace’s forum where Freeform is supported. I had no luck.

02 Dec 2008, 02:19

Ryan Irelan (218 posts)

Tony, I don’t think that behavior is possible with the default FreeForm code.

03 Dec 2008, 19:51
Generic-user-small

Tony (9 posts)

Thanks Ryan. It is good to know this from you.

If you do not mind, I have another issue (not related with your screencasts, but I wish you make one). I searched everywhere and tried everything out there, but no luck.

Can you tell me the best way to insert videos into entries in EE?

JW FLV MEDIA PLAYER 4.2 (located here: http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_Media_Player) seems to be the most preferred. I could only get it to display one video at a time from Youtube.

Take a look at code given at jeroenwijerin’s web page in the url given earlier.

The part giving me problem is this: ‘file=video.flv’

If I replace video.flv with the full Youtube url, the video shows up ok and plays. But when I create a custom field short-named my_video and replace video.flv with {my_video}, then the video does not play - it disappears.

04 Dec 2008, 13:52

Ryan Irelan (218 posts)

Tony, can you paste in your code for that part of the template where you want to display the video?

05 Dec 2008, 18:16
Generic-user-small

Tony (9 posts)

Ryan, thanks a lot for replying to something outside your screencasts!

Here is the code (http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_FLV_Media_Player):

<script type='text/javascript' src='swfobject.js'></script>
<script type='text/javascript'>
var s1 = new SWFObject('player.swf','player','400','300','9');
s1.addParam('allowfullscreen','true');
s1.addParam('allowscriptaccess','always');
s1.addParam('flashvars','file=video.flv');
s1.write('preview');
</script>

Here is how I did it

<script type='text/javascript' src='full-url/swfobject.js'></script>
var s1 = new SWFObject('full-url/player.swf','player','400','300','9');
s1.addParam('flashvars','file=full-url/{video}');
s1.write('preview');
</script>

I also did this (to hide the code when there is no video):

{if video}
s1.addParam('flashvars','file=full-url/{video}');
s1.write('preview');
</script>
{/if}

Note: The following works ok, but it requires hard-coding to replace the video each time I need another video from YouTube:

s1.addParam('flashvars','file=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHbw3n0EIM');
s1.write('preview');
</script>

Also, I was able to install and to use this to enter flash banner: Flashplugin 1.0 (http://expressionengine.com/downloads/details/flashplugin/)

{exp:flashplugin file="full-url/my-flash.swf" width="320" height="120"}{/exp:flashplugin}

I do not know if it can be tweaked to do YouTube???

Finally, I tried this, but it does not work: FLV Player 2.2 http://expressionengine.com/downloads/details/flv_player/

15 Dec 2008, 14:48

Ryan Irelan (218 posts)

As far as I know, Tony, I don’t think those YouTube URLs can be used with a different player. This URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfHbw3n0EIM is for a page where you can watch the video, not the video itself.

15 Dec 2008, 15:04

Ryan Irelan (218 posts)

As far as embedding video from YouTube, have you considered just using the YouTube player? That would be the easiest route and only require you paste that code into a custom entry field.

You must be logged in to comment