06 Sep 2008, 09:07
Generic-user-small

Neil Cauldwell (1 post)

I bought the latest episode on the day it was released and really enjoyed it. I’ve just started implementing the techniques in a current project, but, my setup seems to be having some problems running the Populator gem. When I run the rake db:populate, I see the following error (the gem is installed);

rake aborted!
Could not find RubyGem echoe (>= 0)

</code>

This happens in any Rails environment, on my own app, and on the cinemas app code I downloaded. I haven’t noticed issues with any other gems yet. The only issues I could possibly relate to it are;

1. I recently updated my RubyGems –system (although no other problems since)
  2. script/dbconsole has issues with the mysql setup;
Neil$ script/dbconsole
Couldn't find database client: mysql5, mysql. Check your $PATH and try
again. 

</code>

…and I just followed an instruction on the Hivelogic MySQL installation - it seems as though Rails can, at least, find the path to mysql, but it still won’t load dbconsole;

Neil$ script/dbconsole
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

</code>

MySql has been running ok despite this (except it seems to have been swapping foreign_keys from INT to BIGINT on this project - but not all my apps) and I can run all usual DB related rake/script commands without any issues (and the database.yml file is using passwords and the correct user name for mysql).

I don’t know if either of those are related but, maybe they’ll help in the troubleshooting. Any ideas?

09 Sep 2008, 18:15
Ryan_bates_cropped_pragsmall

Ryan Bates (60 posts)

This was a problem with my populator gem. Echoe isn’t supposed to be a gem dependency, but looks like something is hosed in my gem config. I think I fixed it, so the latest populator version (0.2.4) should work without echoe installed.

The mysql problem is unrelated. It looks like the root MySQL user has a password. You’ll need to set that password in your config/database.yml file. Hopefully that will solve your problem.

12 Sep 2008, 09:54
Generic-user-small

Joe Chesak (2 posts)

Ryan,

I am using a clean drop of the code for Episode 5, and I am also experiencing an error with that gem. Is this actually a problem with the ‘Showing’ model? …

~/cinemas> rake db:populate RAILS_ENV=staging (in /Users/joe/cinemas) rake aborted! undefined method `starts_on=’ for #

(See full trace by running task with –trace) ~/cinemas> rake db:populate RAILS_ENV=staging –trace (in /Users/joe/cinemas) ** Invoke db:populate (first_time) ** Invoke environment (first_time) ** Execute environment ** Execute db:populate rake aborted! undefined method starts_on=' for #<Populator::Record:0x1ef2a94> /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/record.rb:57:in method_missing’ /Users/joe/cinemas/lib/tasks/populate.rake:28 /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:53:in call' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:53:in build_records’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:50:in times' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:50:in build_records’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:43:in populate' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:29:in remember_depth’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:42:in populate' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/model_additions.rb:25:in populate’ /Users/joe/cinemas/lib/tasks/populate.rake:25 /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:53:in call' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:53:in build_records’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:50:in times' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:50:in build_records’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:43:in populate' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:29:in remember_depth’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/factory.rb:42:in populate' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/populator-0.2.4/lib/populator/model_additions.rb:25:in populate’ /Users/joe/cinemas/lib/tasks/populate.rake:22 /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:546:in call' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:546:in execute’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:541:in each' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:541:in execute’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:508:in invoke_with_call_chain' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:501:in synchronize’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:501:in invoke_with_call_chain' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:494:in invoke’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1931:in invoke_task' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1909:in top_level’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1909:in each' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1909:in top_level’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1948:in standard_exception_handling' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1903:in top_level’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1881:in run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1948:in standard_exception_handling’ /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/lib/rake.rb:1878:in run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.1/bin/rake:31 /usr/bin/rake:19:in load’ /usr/bin/rake:19 ~/cinemas>

12 Sep 2008, 14:51
Ryan_bates_cropped_pragsmall

Ryan Bates (60 posts)

Oops, seems there’s a problem in the code. Thanks for finding that. I’ve sent in an update so it should be fixed soon. In the meantime you just need to change starts_at and ends_at in the showings migration to starts_on and ends_on. Then run “rake db:migrate:reset” (which will recreate the table). Let me know if that doesn’t work.

13 Sep 2008, 20:03
Generic-user-small

Joe Chesak (2 posts)

Ryan,

That worked; all is well. Thanks!

I tweaked the migration as you described. After that, it helped to wipe out the database first and start fresh:

In MySQL:

DROP DATABASE cinemas_staging; CREATE DATABASE cinemas_staging;

In cinemas/ directory:

rake db:migrate RAILS_ENV=staging rake db:populate RAILS_ENV=staging

You must be logged in to comment