10 Oct 2008, 09:26
Generic-user-small

Anders Nehlin (12 posts)

Hi Keir,

I just bought the pdf-version of your book and I found it very useful. I had some trouble installing the wireless internet to my pc using the Network Manager and ndiswrapper so I used your tip 41 “Use an Alternative Wifi Connection Manager”. Got a wireless Gigabyte USB adapter (GN-WB01GS) and a Belkin router. I read and followed your instructions and it works fine except that I do not get access to internet with my wireless connection. The Wicd Manager tells me that the USB Adapter connects fine with the router and can see a fine signal (more than 50%), but I can not get access to internet. I get access with my wire.

Do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Best regards, Anders

10 Oct 2008, 12:10
Generic-user-small

Anders Nehlin (12 posts)

Hi Keir,

I think I have solved it. I hope it is stable.

I did not mentioned that I uninstalled the ndiswrapper and the windows driver for the wireless USB adapter in order to check if that was the case, but it still worked without a driver. Strange (for me..). Anyway, I reinstalled ndiswrapper and the windows driver and now I got access to internet. Very nice. But now I got another annoying problem. When I boot up the computer it takes several minutes and I got this error message before the computer starts: “Some things, such as themes, sounds, or background settings may not work correctly. The last error message was: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken. GNOME will still try to restart the Settings Daemon next time you log in.”

Any supporting suggestions? Thanks in advance

Best regards Anders

10 Oct 2008, 12:31
Generic-user-small

Anders Nehlin (12 posts)

Hi again,

I think I solved it for the moment…

The computer started as usual without any error message when I took out the wireless USB adapter and rebooted it. I put it back in after the start and now works the internet fine. Do you have any suggestion how to have the hardware present without having problems to start the computer? Thanks.

Best regards, Anders

14 Oct 2008, 08:42
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (38 posts)

Hi Anders.

I’m not quite sure what you’ve done so far. You’ve installed Windows drivers using Ndiswrapper? If so, it’s very probable they’re the cause of the problem. Try switching to a different version of the Windows drivers (uninstall the old ones first–see page 307 in the book). This often helps.

Ubuntu 8.10, due for release at the end of this month, includes much better wifi support, and it should make Ndiswrapper much less necessary. You can try upgrading to that. The release candidate will be available in a few days and that should be good enough for day-to-day use, and you can keep updating until the full release comes along.

Here’s the link:

http://releases.ubuntu.com/releases/8.10/

You must be logged in to comment