20 Aug 2008, 16:24
_oo_pragsmall

craigbspengler (4 posts)

Looks exciting! – is server info included or is this primarily a desktop-oriented book?

23 Aug 2008, 07:29
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (39 posts)

Hi Craig. The book focuses on typical Ubuntu users, which I guess means desktop users. But there are things server admins might find interesting – a lot of the tips are about efficient command-line usage, and I look at such things as setting up an FTP server at one point, as well as getting SAMBA working correctly. I also discuss setting up and using SSH/SFTP. Take a look at the table of contents:

http://media.pragprog.com/titles/ktuk/toc.pdf

Note that this is slightly out of date now, because the book is still in beta testing and being changed, but it’s mostly correct.

27 Aug 2008, 13:40
_oo_pragsmall

craigbspengler (4 posts)

Thanks Keir – the TOC is impressive, not to mention enticing! I noticed references to Gnome; I have been a KDE afficionado for years and years now are the tips Gnome/KDE-agnostic, perhaps? Also, is there any categorization of the tips (e.g. network, display, printing, mail) by issues? After this I promise no more questions, just bucks!

29 Aug 2008, 17:09
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (39 posts)

Hi Craig. The book was written using Ubuntu as a base, so any tips that are desktop oriented are GNOME specific. What you say about KDE raises the interesting prospect of a version of the book focussed on Kubuntu but it seems to me that Kubuntu is really the “power user” version of Ubuntu. This is what I’ve picked up from years of reading Ubuntuforums.org and other sites. I’m not sure power users would be interested in a book like this (not that they won’t find it useful, but we’re talking about aiming books at viable audiences). I’m not sure what the split is between Ubuntu/Kubuntu users (or, for that matter, Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu). I’d like to find out.

The tips are in a random order in the book, with the idea being the reader can dip in and out. But there are no less than two tables of contents at the beginning. The first lists the tips in numerical order, and the second lists them under various headings (“Productivity”, “Multimedia” etc). We added this index late in the day so it doesn’t appear in the beta. And there’s also the keyword index at the back, as with any computer book.

31 Aug 2008, 04:53
_oo_pragsmall

craigbspengler (4 posts)

Wow, Keir, thanks for the compliment – never thought of myself as a power user. Seriously, I said no more questions so just a small sample of opining. At year or more ago my techno-lady set up a network of about six or eight different distros and I always ended up frustrated with the G’s and comfortable with the K’s. Guess I like to know what’s going on under the hood (command lines and closer-to-the-metal, that stuff).

I like the headings list, an excellent approach; probably late for this edition but perhaps parallel columns for 2d with both G & K? Just a thought.

18 Oct 2008, 13:41
Generic-user-small

Ronny Klaeboe (5 posts)

I am setting up an Ubuntu server 8.04 LTS to run Ruby on Rails and expression engine – thanks to Ryan Irelan for his excellent set of screencasts.

However I would also like to install the Gnome desktop to have a more friendly environment to move around in. What do I do? Are there any strong reasons not to? (instability, security?).

22 Oct 2008, 15:05
Keir_pragsmall

Keir Thomas (39 posts)

Hi Ronny. I haven’t tried but if you’ve installed the Ubuntu Server, it should be enough to simply install the ubuntu-desktop package. This is a metapackage that depends on all the Gnome desktop stuff. I might be wrong but there should be no need to change the repositories—everything comes from the same repos with Ubuntu.

Let me know how you get on.

12 Apr 2012, 07:39
Generic-user-small

Marc-André Benoit (4 posts)

this website seems to be offline.. is the ebook available ? are you planning an updated edition ?

25 Oct 2012, 02:53
Generic-user-small

AskDataTech (2 posts)

very good

You must be logged in to comment