02 Mar 2014, 10:15
Generic-user-small

Little Tiger (1 post)

Dear Andyn Many thanks for your book. It helped me prepare my résumé and first time ever I got replies (actually, 5 minutes after posting my updated résumé on LinkedIn I got one email and one call from 2 recruiters :)

So anyway, besides that… I’ve been asked for a CV now by a company that’s interested in my profile (saw it on LinkedIn). If I send a document titled “Résumé of…” would that be bad? Probably not, but it could seem to some like I don’t follow instructions to the letter.

Could I just rename it “CV”? It’s a one page document (not much experience, but enough.. But no skills list, since job descriptions are detailed and seem more useful).

Maybe in a “CV” I could add a skills list but I don’t like the idea of scoring myself “proficient”, “beginner”,experienced with this or that technology… Doesn’t seem to give a lot of precise information.

Any advice, or am I just worrying too much and should just send my résumé already? :)

(I’m Belgian, living in China, looking for a job in HK… So I’m confused about format of the documents.. My résumé looks good I’ve been told by HK people, but no idea if that would be the same for an international company in HK asking a CV)

14 Mar 2014, 15:57
Headshot-300x300_pragsmall

Andy Lester (18 posts)

Hi, and thanks for the note. I’m glad it helped. I’m sorry for the late reply.

In the United States, it’s most common to deal with a “resume” and not a “CV”. The only time you’ll see “CV” is in the world of higher education. If you were in the US, I’d say “just call send over a resume and don’t worry what it’s called”. However, I don’t know if this is the case in Belgium, or China, or Hong Kong.

My feeling is that the reader probably doesn’t care too much if it’s called a resume, or a CV, or if it’s in a very specific format or not. However, that’s just my gut feeling. There may be cultural differences I’m not aware of where the difference between “resume” and “CV” is significant and important.

I’m sorry I can’t be more decisive on this, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned in writing and reading about job hunting is that the job process is not universal around the world, and I’m just not familiar with the process outside the US.

You must be logged in to comment