14 Feb 2011, 22:34
Me_pragsmall

Dmytrii Nagirniak (3 posts)

Hi,

I’ve started to read the book and must say that’s a really interesting one. It clarify a lot of things.

But so far I was wondering about web resume.

Do you think it would be worth to create a generic online resume that would aggregate all the information I can put in, but then filter that information out in order to present specific details.

The target is to avoid duplication and work related to synchronization. (In the spirit of a lazy developer who wants to avoid code duplication :) )

So that I would end up with something like this:

• Generic - all in all + export to HTML, Word.
  • Filtered out for Ruby language (+export).
  • Filtered out for C# experience (+export).
  • Filtered out for TL position (+export).
  • etc

The point is that I would have one content, based on which different parts can be hidden or shown.

This would give me opportunity to edit details once and then export (and also send a link to Word format if needed) resume for a specific job type.

Additionally, if it would be a relatively good idea, would I have to publish all of those resumes or only the one that is most appropriate at the given time?

Thanks, Dima.

15 Feb 2011, 15:15
Headshot-300x300_pragsmall

Andy Lester (18 posts)

Yes, I think that’s a great way to do it. What I’ve been advocating in recent talks is to have a master resume that has everything on it that you’ve ever done. Then, when you’re ready to send out a resume to a company in which you’re interested, you make a copy of the master and whittle away the parts that aren’t relevant, or which you can diminish.

I’ve always found that the biggest trouble people have is in thinking of what to put in. If you have a master that you put everything in, then it’s easier to take things out when the time comes.

15 Feb 2011, 22:37
Me_pragsmall

Dmytrii Nagirniak (3 posts)

It looks like automating that process (either for fun or profit) is not such a bad idea. Thanks a lot.

You must be logged in to comment