07 Oct 2008, 16:39
Generic-user-small

alexhunt123 (10 posts)

Thanks for sharing with us your excellent ‘over the shoulder look’ into programming. I have been stumped for some time and look forward to getting back into some programming, especially the basics.

This would be my wish list - for now anyway!

1 How to get from a Tab bar page by pressing a button to a Table view page and back. 2 Using a picker to pick two items (say item 1, item 2, item n/ subject 1, subject 2, subject n) the user then picks a selection say item 1/subject 2 and the iphone looks-up the data in sql or static database for 1.2 and display the info in a table. 3 Adding a picture to each lookup item. 4 Getting your location and emailing it to a friend so that it opens up in iphone or google earth. 5 Adding a picture to each recipe from iPhone memory or by taking a picture using iPhone. 6 How to get the client to backup the sql database if updating an application and then reloading the sql database.

Thanks for considering!

07 Oct 2008, 20:05
Generic-user-small

Paul Cooper (2 posts)

I have also found these screencasts to be an excellent introduction to iPhone development, and I would love to see them expanded to cover more advanced topics such as best practices, memory management and performance tuning.

Thanks, Paul

07 Oct 2008, 20:57
Generic-user-small

Mike Carter (17 posts)

These videos would have saved weeks and weeks of head banging, in a couple hours you cleared up so many questions. I come from a windows dotnet c# background, a completely different world.

+1 for some objective-c memory management and performance, would love to see that next. Even if they were less polished / edited I would still buy as soon as released, then we could ask questions and they could be revised.

A walk through on the performance monitor would also be great.

Thanks.

08 Oct 2008, 09:11
Ian_smaller_pragsmall

Ian Thain (37 posts)

Good thoughts

17 Oct 2008, 16:57
Generic-user-small

Sammy A. Gabbay (4 posts)

Maybe a sync tutorial. Like how to sync the recipes with iCal or Outlook. I would so buy that tutorial for $15!!

Thanks, Sammy A. Gabbay

10 Nov 2008, 18:18
Generic-user-small

Bill Nalen (13 posts)

It took me ages to figure out how to add a toolbar to the navigation project template because of the way it’s setup. If I had started from the general view based project template it would have saved me hours and hours. It’d be interesting to see a screencast of the different project templates and if we indeed need any of them.

It seems that the pace of development of the SDK and tools has far outpaced the Apple examples. I find most of them are still creating controls in code, and none of the ones I’ve looked at have the table cells created in IB like Bill has done. Using IB just saves so much time. It’d be cool to have more and more screencasts for specific topics.

10 Nov 2008, 20:15
Biopic_100x100_pragsmall

Bill Dudney (917 posts)

Thanks Bill,

We are deciding what to do next this week.

One I’m thinking of is ‘more on table views’ or something like that. In this series we’d go over how to make TVCell’s from IB and more detailed discussion of editing.

Was there any particular topic you wanted? I’d be happy to ad that to the stack of stuff to consider.

Thanks again!

10 Nov 2008, 21:42
Generic-user-small

Bill Nalen (13 posts)

Maybe recreating some of the built in app interfaces? i.e. how do they hook up the toolbar, and how do they do all the built app special table cells. I’m just starting to read the beta book, so I’m not sure how much is covered in there yet. For me personally, I’m finding that I learn much better watching these short screencasts than I do reading the books.

12 Nov 2008, 05:15
Generic-user-small

John Bickerstaff (13 posts)

I’d love to see how to make the table view scrollable - if I have more than a few recipies…

The other suggested topics are also of interest.

I’ll happily pay in this price range for these topics… If you build it, I will buy!

18 Nov 2008, 09:07
Ian_smaller_pragsmall

Ian Thain (37 posts)

I’d like a screencast on how IB links in with XCode and all the MVC outlet stuff.

Thanks

Ian

18 Nov 2008, 12:33
Biopic_100x100_pragsmall

Bill Dudney (917 posts)

Thanks Ian,

Have you watched the free episode here;

http://screencasts.pragprog.com/v-bdiphone-helloiphone.mov.zip

It talks about IB and a bit of how it works. More could of course always be done :)

18 Nov 2008, 13:40
Ian_smaller_pragsmall

Ian Thain (37 posts)

I had maybe I should review it?

Thanks

Ian

02 Mar 2009, 20:53
Mike-winter_pragsmall

Mike Berg (14 posts)

I’d love to see the “add a picture to an item” idea fleshed out as well!

-Mike

You must be logged in to comment