31 Oct 2008, 12:30
Generic-user-small

Shahed Moolji (6 posts)

Hi,

In Episode 4 when you are delegating the removeIngredients:forReciepe: method all the way to the App Delegate, you create a IBOutlet from IngredientsViewController–>ReceipeViewController.

At the same time, you also create a property for this. Is this property really required ?

Its confusing because I thought as a rule of thumb, if you intend to use an IBOutlet, then you should not have a property for the same instance variable, because then you could easily overwrite the connection made using IB (unless you set the property readonly).

Thanks

31 Oct 2008, 13:03
Biopic_100x100_pragsmall

Bill Dudney (917 posts)

Hi Shahed,

The property is not necessary. I often find it convenient, but its not necessary.

31 Oct 2008, 13:53
Generic-user-small

Shahed Moolji (6 posts)

Thanks Bill.

10 Nov 2008, 18:14
Generic-user-small

Bill Nalen (13 posts)

I wondered about this too. Also, since your property is doing a retain, aren’t you supposed to do a dealloc and release it too?

As an aside, it must be really hard to edit in a change to the screencast. They are super helpful but I wondered how much time it takes vs. the $5 I’m paying.

10 Nov 2008, 20:21
Biopic_100x100_pragsmall

Bill Dudney (917 posts)

Hi Bill,

You are correct about the memory mgt, but I try to limit the conceptual space that I’m covering in each screen cast. I’m thinking we need a series screencast on memory mgt on the iPhone.

You must be logged in to comment