22 May 2009, 18:24
Generic-user-small

Rocco Rossi (1 post)

I would really like to see more information regarding syntax-quote, especially the behind-the-scenes expansion algorithm as documented here:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_Clojure#Reader_Macros

In particular, I feel this info could be very useful in the book:

If a symbol is non-namespace-qualified and ends with ‘#’, it is resolved to a generated symbol with the same name to which ‘_’ and a unique id have been appended. e.g. x# will resolve to x_123. All references to that symbol within a syntax-quoted expression resolve to the same generated symbol.

For all forms other than Symbols, Lists, Vectors and Maps, `x is the same as ‘x.

Syntax-quotes can be nested within other syntax-quotes:

(moose ~(squirrel (whale ~zebra)))

For Lists syntax-quote establishes a template of the corresponding data structure. Within the template, unqualified forms behave as if recursively syntax-quoted.

`(x1 x2 x3 … xn)

is interpreted to mean

(clojure.core/concat x1   x2   x3 … xn ) where the   are used to indicate a transformation of an xj as follows:
* |form| is interpreted as (clojure.core/list `form), which contains a syntax-quoted form that must then be further interpreted.

* |~form| is interpreted as (clojure.core/list form).

* |~@form| is interpreted as form.

If the syntax-quote syntax is nested, the innermost syntax-quoted form is expanded first. This means that if several ~ occur in a row, the leftmost one belongs to the innermost syntax-quote.

Following the rules above, and assuming that the var a contains 5, an expression such as

``(~~a)

would be expanded (behind the curtains) as follows:

(clojure.core/concat (clojure.core/list (quote clojure.core/concat)) (clojure.core/list (clojure.core/concat (clojure.core/list (quote clojure.core/list)) (clojure.core/list a))))

and then evaluated, producing;

(clojure.core/concat (clojure.core/list 5))

24 Jun 2009, 13:08
Stu-small_pragsmall

Stuart Halloway (76 posts)

Hi Rocco,

I think the level of detail in the book is appropriate given length constraints, but I am hoping to write something longer and more detailed that would include a gentler yet more thorough introduction to macros. Thanks for the feedback!

Stu

You must be logged in to comment