26 Aug 2010, 15:03
Generic-user-small

David Douglas (3 posts)

I am currently reading The Passionate Programmer and I can identify with a lot of the authors message. However, I am 40 and have worked for two companies over the last 17 years. I have been exposed to lots of different technologies and currently I am working with C# and ASP.Net. I have been pretty unhappy lately and feel that I need a change. I guess I am trying to decide if I have already pigeon-holed myself or can I start applying the principles in this book today and find work elsewhere. I wouldnt say that all my decisions are driven by fear but I do have a big family (6 kids) that depend on my income. So… taking a cut in pay wont work. I have been considering working in my off hours to try and gain some competency in other technologies in order to make the change I am want for my career. Any advice or ideas from this group would be great.

Thanks, David

26 Aug 2010, 16:22
Generic-user-small

Victor Feria (5 posts)

I have been involved in software development since the time of CPM Machines. What I have learned during those years got me to where I am now. I love software development both as a hobby and business. In the business side I found that staying with an industry like in Healthcare kept me busy. There are lots of opportunities in Medical Informatics and still growing by leaps and bounds. The Healthcare industry is what I found to be inflation proof. I think more people get “sicker” in a bad economy :) Your knowledge of C#/ASP.NET is a plus and if you can utilize the knowledge to merge it with mobile devices so much the better.

You must be logged in to comment