15 Dec 2013, 23:17
My kingdom_pragsmall

Rob Johnson (4 posts)

I’m a beginner interested in App Academy. My computer is: Windows version 6.1.7601 (Windows 7 for a Toshiba Satellite c655 which is 2 years old). I’ve tried following the book line for line. No matter which Ruby download I’ve gotten, I’ve only succeeded in getting as far 1.1 and no farther. The book uses the following as an example:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

This is hindering my ability to prepare for the Code Challenge. I need help for I can’t proceed any further until I can get past what appears to be a set up process.

17 Dec 2013, 20:55
Med__2008.08.19.09.44.43_pragsmall

Chris Pine (59 posts)

Your version of Windows shouldn’t matter nearly as much as your version of Ruby. But even that doesn’t matter a great deal.

Have you been able to run the calc.rb program? If you go through the steps in the setup chapter, exactly where do things stop working for you?

23 Dec 2013, 04:09
My kingdom_pragsmall

Rob Johnson (4 posts)

I downloaded Ruby 1.9.3-p484. Nothing worked until I went back and downloaded DevKit-mingw64-64-4.7.2-20130224-1432-sfx.exe

In paragraph 1.1 Windows I’ve been successful at this command (in the black box: echo hello. When I try the next command ruby -v, the response is: ‘ruby is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Then it returns to: C:\Users\Pilse>

Note: I was formally successful at reaching this step: C:\Documents and Settings\chris> dir /ad but no further.

Once I made contact with you I’ve gone through the process of uninstalling an re-installing the downloads in attempts to start fresh in order to arrive at this point to answer your question.

Merry Christmas

25 Dec 2013, 19:18
Med__2008.08.19.09.44.43_pragsmall

Chris Pine (59 posts)

Hmm… I’ve never needed the devkit exe you refer to. The standard Windows installer has always worked fine for me.

If running ‘ruby -v’ doesn’t work, but you have installed Ruby, then you need to add the path of the ruby exe to your PATH variable. (The installer should do this for you, though.) Instructions can be found here:

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

28 Dec 2013, 14:05
My kingdom_pragsmall

Rob Johnson (4 posts)

K. Thanx, I’m not sure if that was the deciding factor, heck I don’t even know what a devkit is. I do need things written in crayon though, for example: “ruby exe to your PATH variable” But I’ll let you know what happens.

02 Jan 2014, 01:58
My kingdom_pragsmall

Rob Johnson (4 posts)

Ok in 1.1 when I enter ruby -v that’s when I (still) get the following response: ruby is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. Then it returns to: C:\Users\Pilse>

I went to the link you sent me and followed the pictures for “Windows 7”

You must be logged in to comment