22 Dec 2013, 03:33
Generic-user-small

Vikrant Goel (4 posts)

I have the Learn to Program (2nd edition) version 1.1. It is not updated for Ruby 2.0. I cannot buy the new book. Is there any way I can get the updated portions of the book? A pdf version (e-book) is what I am looking for. Thank You!

29 Jan 2014, 02:14
Generic-user-small

Vikrant Goel (4 posts)

Hello! Chris? Can you help me out?

29 Jan 2014, 20:35
Med__2008.08.19.09.44.43_pragsmall

Chris Pine (57 posts)

I’m just the author, not the publisher, so I’m not in charge of that sort of thing.

You can buy the PDF of the latest edition here: http://pragprog.com/book/ltp2/learn-to-program

If you purchased an older e-book revision from PragProg, they give you updates for free.

31 Jan 2014, 16:29
Generic-user-small

Vikrant Goel (4 posts)

I haven’t bought the book from PragProg. I had bought the book a couple of years back. I think it was from Amazon or ebay (don;t remember). And why are the free updates limited only to the orders placed on PragProg? The other sites are as legitimate as this site. When PragProg is selling their books through other sites, it should also give the updates to the buyers from other sites. Ultimately every purchase adds to the profit of PragProg. This is really unfair to the people who have bought the books from other sites. It really makes no sense at all to spend money again on the revised version of a book that you have already purchased. In case of hardcopy books it is understandable, but why to pay again for an ebook?

As I have stated in the first post itself, I just need the updated portions for Ruby 2.0 in the pdf format (softcopy). I do not want the entire hard copy. Why shouldn’t the publisher give it to me? I know you are the author and you do not have control over these things. I would really appreciate if you could request your publisher (on my behalf) to read this post of mine.

Really looking forward for a reply from the publishers.

Thank You.

01 Feb 2014, 02:39

Chris Pine (57 posts)

Feel free to contact the publisher. I think they do (or used to?) honor that in some sense. But even if you buy the book from pragprog.com, I don’t think they send you updates unless you bought the ebook.

So this isn’t about you having bought the book elsewhere, it’s about the fact that you didn’t buy the ebook. (I think.) I don’t think they store just the changes between versions.

If you are really just concerned about the 2.0 updates, though, I’d say “Don’t worry about it.” The changes are not that extensive. Even the first edition of my book is still mostly accurate (though it’s missing the answer section that we added to the 2nd edition). You can certainly still learn to program from it.

01 Feb 2014, 04:47
Generic-user-small

Vikrant Goel (4 posts)

@Chris - First of all thank you very much for the detailed reply. It is good to hear that the 2.0 updates are not extensive. Even though I would love to read the updated portions.

I was not aware that the free updates are only for the ebooks. I will still be contacting the publishers regarding the same. Can you tell me how to contact the publishers directly regarding the same?

Thank You.

02 Feb 2014, 18:12

Chris Pine (57 posts)

It’s all on the contact page:

http://pragprog.com/contact

You must be logged in to comment