22 Jan 2009, 04:03
Generic-user-small

Joshua Campbell (2 posts)

Any chance of getting some sample content and a table of contents posted? I’m trying to decide if this is a good book for me, or if I should go with Programming Ruby. I’m new to Ruby but have experience programming (academic only, C/C++/Java) so I don’t want something too basic, but with that being said I’m not a developer by any stretch.

A few sample sections/problems from throughout the book would be great, and a table of contents would be hugely helpful to see what content is covered.

Keep up the great work!

23 Jan 2009, 01:24
Generic-user-small

wes johnson (2 posts)

As I understand it, this is a book for ‘learning to program, using Ruby’, as opposed to ‘learning to program in Ruby’.

For instance, instead of “this is a while loop in ruby”, you’re more likely to see an explanation of what a while loop is.

Given your qualifications, I think this would be fairly beyond where you’re at now.

Hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions.

25 Jan 2009, 00:45
Generic-user-small

Joshua Campbell (2 posts)

Excellent, that’ll do it. I like the style of the Learning To Program books, but I had a feeling it wouldn’t be exactly what I was looking for. I’ll go with the pickaxe, thanks!

29 Jan 2009, 16:49
Generic-user-small

Iain Kelly (9 posts)

I’m about half way through this book, and I’m really enjoying it. I’m typing in each of the programming snippets in the book, and it is making for fun practice at programming in Ruby. The author is very systematic and doesn’t leave any gaps in the next step topic. I took a Ruby class through our local community college and found it very frustrating. We had to buy two books, the pickaxe book and Ruby by example. I liked both books, but the teacher assignments were not in line with the books.

I find this book to follow a practice the basics model, which I personally like. I can see myself coming back to this book over time for refreshing the basics.

Thanks for a great book.

19 Mar 2009, 02:12
Med__2008.08.19.09.44.43_pragsmall

Chris Pine (59 posts)

Thanks for buying it. :)

24 Dec 2013, 12:18
Lasse2_pragsmall

Lasse Bunk (1 post)

Hi Chris,

I was wondering if it would be possible for you to include some sample content/chapters?

I’m looking into it for a friend new to programming.

Thanks, Lasse Bunk

25 Dec 2013, 19:14
Med__2008.08.19.09.44.43_pragsmall

Chris Pine (59 posts)

It’s not something I have control over. But it’s aimed at people with no prior programming experience.

Hope that helps a bit,

Chris

You must be logged in to comment